Why become a member? ×

What to clean my Warwick Corvette $$ with??

Wooks

I should get my $$ on Sat from Jane Ten Floors, but he never got the care kit for it. And I was wondering what should I use to wax it? Should I go out and invest in the recommended Warwick stuff which is pricey or is there is a cheaper alternative I can use, eg some clear beeswax that you can get at most hardware stores??

Edited by Wooks

Most wood care products work for caring for your 'W' bass. I've used various producats and it's a case of trial and error to get the one that feels/smells right for you :)

Just out of interest the bass is natural and not sealed... if the latter waxing is not necessary (other than a bit of oiling/waxing of the neck/fingerboard 'should' it need it).

If it's natural wood finish i.e. no paint or laquer I prefer to use a product sold in Wilkinson stores. It's a beeswax based wood conditioner and it cleans at the same time which the warwick wax doesnt seem to do. The stuff I get is bright yellow and comes in a little clear plastic tub about 3" diameter and 2" high, I think it was around the £3.00 mark but it lasts ages and smells better then the warwick wax too

[quote name='Wooks' post='242102' date='Jul 17 2008, 08:17 PM']I should get my $$ on Sat from Jane Ten Floors, but he never got the care kit for it. And I was wondering what should I use to wax it? Should I go out and invest in the recommended Warwick stuff which is pricey or is there is a cheaper alternative I can use, eg some clear beeswax that you can get at most hardware stores??[/quote]

My $$ is a Nivana Black natuaral oil finish, (I should have said from the start...dohhh), so what will be the best thing to use with this finish? Will it be wax or an oil? If oil which one should I use?
Thanks for the responses so far :)

[quote name='Wooks' post='242385' date='Jul 18 2008, 09:13 AM']My $$ is a Nivana Black natuaral oil finish, (I should have said from the start...dohhh), so what will be the best thing to use with this finish? Will it be wax or an oil? If oil which one should I use?[/quote]

Hi Sy

I was under the impression that none of the coloured finishes needed any more caring except for just a polish with a cloth every so often as they are sealed by the oil finish and it was only the natural finish that needed the wax...I may have misread/misunderstood this tho!

You could have a look on the 'wick website and d'load the manual if you havent already :huh: (in "resources" [url="http://warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=14429&cl=EN"]http://warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt...14429&cl=EN[/url] )Theres lots in there that is quite interesting, quite a good read actually (hmmm...that sounds a bit lame...reading manuals...I'm a man...I shouldnt "read" manuals...) :)

Matt

Edited by Matt_UK

No need to wax it. a clean cloth for the dirt and grime, but no product (I think Warwick recommends a slightly damped cloth?). Some wax the neck, but the feel of the neck changes (stickier).

hey, how about that

[url="http://www.warwick.de/media/manuals/Basses/WWBassManual_EN.pdf"]http://www.warwick.de/media/manuals/Basses...ssManual_EN.pdf[/url]

Edited by Brave Sir Robin