Why become a member? ×

ideas for modifying a flatwound string to 25 inch scale

watton_earth

Dudes,
I bought a 25 inch scale bass for the wee man. It came with round wounds. I think flat wounds would be easier on little fingers, I also have a preference for flats...

I have written off to a maker of custom strings to see if they are interrested however...

I was wondering if it may be possible to modify a longer scale string to suit?

The bass maker thinks not...... stating the machine head is too small for an E string to 1) fit inside and 2) the string core will likely snap once wound on.

So with that in mind I had and idea...either tie a knot in the "ball end" / "bridge end" or bolt that end between metal plates and and then snip the end off (leaving the tappered / threaded end to be wound onto the machine head...

Any thoughts?

[quote name='watton_earth' timestamp='1399927257' post='2449124']...Any thoughts?[/quote]

Have you looked at strings for a baritone guitar/bass..? That's a very short scale length for a bass, so a low E such as 105 would probably not work well, anyway. What gauges were you thinking of wanting..? Are there not flat-wound guitar strings thick enough..?

A bass string of 100 gauge (so 1/10" thick) tuned to low E for a 25" scale instrument would have a tension of only about 19lbs (compared to about 35lbs when tuned to E on a 34" scale bass) so would be exceedingly floppy - according to the string tension calculator here http://www.stringbusters.com/stringfaqs.asp