Why become a member? ×

GK MB200 + NEO 112-II ?

Zak Tozer

Looking for lightweight (as cheap as possible) amps as I'm a student that does allot of travel and took interest in the Gallien Krueger MB200 and the NEO 112-II head as they are such good price and seem very capable for their size and weight..

[u][size=4]I was wondering if anyone knows:[/size][/u]

[size=4][b]1) if these will work together and be a good combo? Do I have to do anything to make them compatible together because the head is [color=#000000][font=Tahoma]200 watts @ 4 ohms or 140 watts @ 8 ohms (don't completely understand this) and the cab is 300 watts @ 8 ohms??

2) what are peoples opinions on both the items, particularly the MB200?? Would it be powerful enough for regular gigs (pubs, weddings, small local festivals etc), especially if DI'd?[/font][/color][/b][/size]

[color=#000000][font=Tahoma]Also, what are peoples opinions on Phil Jones Flightcase BG-150 amps?? (referrence to 2^)[/font][/color]

Edited by Zak Tozer

If an amp puts out 200 watts at 4ohms, and 140 watts at 8ohms, what you need to look at on the cab first off is the ohms bit. Re the GK NEO 112, as an 8ohm cab, that means your amp will send 140 watts to it. Ideally then, the cab needs to be able to handle this amount, or more, which it can, rated as handling 300 watts.

Will that set-up handle gigs, well it depends on how loud your band is, style of music etc. If DI`d it should be fine for on-stage monitoring unless you have a real hard-hitting drummer and guitarists with stacks. Raise the cab off of the floor with a beer crate or something, you should be fine but if your drummer wants to hear the bass as well you`ll need some way of getting a monitor feed for him/her.

I have a similar small rig. Mine is an Eden wtx264 paired with a 4ohm Eden 1x12 cab. Micro amp is rated @250w and the cab 300w.
I find it loud enough if I use it along with being DI'd through a P.A. Very portable.
I think even a 1x10 cab could work if boosted via a DI setup.