Why become a member? ×

Pedalboard lighting

KingBollock

Wasn't sure where to put this, but it suppose it is technical. While it is about a pedalboard I didn't think it would suit the effects forum, but if it needs move so be it.

This year I am planning on having a crack at building a pedalboard. I am obsessed with shiny things and would love to have some lighting inside the board, under the grate (want to use aluminium grating rather than the usual metal or wooden strips), and have been considering running El Wire/glow wire along the power cables. They aren't too bright and I thought it might look a bit Tron like, or, with the grating, like the floor of a space ship from a sci-fi movie or Red Dwarf.
I have read that the power supply for the wire emits a high pitched sound, which, if that is the only problem, I am sure I can deal with, however my main worry is that the instrument cables might pick up interference because the wires run on AC. Does anyone know if that is the case? Has anyone tried it?
I could shield the power supply but I can't shield the actual wire. Perhaps I could wrap the instrument cables in copper tape?

If that turns out to be a rubbish idea, does anyone know if cold cathode ray tubing with cause interference? I could install UV ray tubes around the edges and paint the power cables with UV reactive paint maybe.

They use this stuff in PCs so you'd think it would be ok...

I would suggest that you should look at creatively reusing something like fibre opic based christmas decorations/novelty lamps or solar powered LED garden lighting, with LEDs as your main lightsource if you want to maximise robustness and minimise electrical noise. There is an abundance of shonky tat waiting to be turned into something decent, and available very cheaply.

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1398690778' post='2436575']
Both solutions might give some noise issues.
Especially considering that your bass/pedalboard/amp setup is (I assume) using unbalanced signals.

Have you considered using LED strip ?
[/quote]
I ended up reporting this in the Effects forum. LEDs seem to be the direction thoughts are going in.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/235569-pedalboard-lighting/

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1398694155' post='2436618']
I would suggest that you should look at creatively reusing something like fibre opic based christmas decorations/novelty lamps or solar powered LED garden lighting, with LEDs as your main lightsource if you want to maximise robustness and minimise electrical noise. There is an abundance of shonky tat waiting to be turned into something decent, and available very cheaply.
[/quote]
I don't want to flood it with light. I was thinking low level black light LEDs and then using UV reactive paint to highlight stuff.

Thinking of doing something like a futuristic relic, like it's a floor panel taken from an old derelict mining space ship. Lots of ideas floating around, it'll be interesting which ideas stick in the end. Really looking forward to getting started.