Why become a member? ×

Help identifying pickups (Sandberg content)

tbonepete

Hi all, (Mods please move if this is in the wrong place!).
I can't seem to find out what pups are in my bass.
I've recently bought a 20th anniversary ken taylor5 bass, having had an earlier KT5 which I stupidly moved on.
I knew the basses would sound different as my first one was a mahogany/rare wood body with maple/rosewood neck, and the bridge was an earlier type (my thoughts are that it was a better bridge design too), but having bought the new one I find that the pups apart from being covered pole pieces sound very different too. They have a lower output when bass eq set flat, and have a scooped quality to the sound. The eq seems to have much less effect on the tone than my previous one which had a higher output, and more mid focused content. At a guess I'd say it's like the newer one is wired parallel/single, and my first one was series/single. It's fair to say that although the newer one is ok, I much preferred the sound of the older one. So, what pups are in the newer one? Have sandberg changed the eq too? Why did they change the pups anyway? Has the wiring changed too? (Series/parallel?).
If you have any concrete info on this I'd like to know whats what. I haven't had any luck looking on the Sandberg specs, or indeed on the three times I've contacted them over the years, so that's why I'm asking specific questions here.
Please, and thank you
Cheers Pete

Edited by tbonepete

Hi Luke,
I've been changing pup heights but to no avail. The pups are different, I just want to know what they are, what else has changed, and I suppose why sandberg felt the need to change at all. Both the 20thanniversary model, and regular ken taylor state the same words in relation to pups and pre amp on the spec sheet, So I thought they would sound the same, but no where near the same!
It's no biggy, just a bit underwhelmed at the moment. I had planned for this to be my main player, but as it is I'll just use it as a back up, or for sh**s, and giggles type thing! after all it's not awful or anything! just a bit meh.
Thanks Pete

Edited by tbonepete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geoff,
That would seem to be the simplest way wouldn't it?
I have over the years tried to contact them three times and each time has been met with silence. By fate though the bass is back with them now (so I've been told) for rectification of some other QC issues.
Maybe they will contact me directly, but somehow I doubt it.
No biggie though, I have other basses to play.
Cheers Pete