Why become a member? ×

Anyone had a Cort Fretless who can advise me on value etc.

tonybassplayer

Hi, seen this advertised locally to me and wanting to try something a little different to get me inspired to play more and wondered what these are like and price I should be paying. Below is part of the description.

Cort fretless with Bertolini active circuitry, swamp ash body with wenge neck.

Any thoughts ?

Tony

It sounds like a Cort B4FL - I've got one. It has two Bartolini design humbuckers and a Bartolini design 3 band EQ also featuring an EQ bypass switch. Hardware is Hipshot licenced. It has lots of mid growl and treble on tap even with flatwounds. The necks are very slim, similar to a Jazz thickness and mine is a 5-ply laminate of wenge and rosewood with a thick rosewood fingerboard. I got mine secondhand via eBay for the same as the one you've seen and mine arrived pretty much looking brand new - these go for about £390 new (look here's one for sale http://rguitars.co.uk/collections/cort-guitars/products/b4flopn for more info) and I can honestly say I got a bargain... but, and this might have been a one-off with the instrument I bought, but the bridge was mounted a few millimetres forward of where it needed to be for correct intonation according to the side dot markers (I had the saddle all the way back for the E string and it still wasn't intonating correctly, and the A saddle was probably at the end of its adjustment range too). The bridge on mine was also a bit skewiff (not mounted straight) so I wanted to remount it anyway and I had the confidence to drill new holes and repositioned it without any drama. The instrument now intonates perfectly.