Why become a member? ×

NPAD - SWR Content - Marcus Miller Preamp (M2)

JPJ

Been after one of the these for a while now and due to the demise of SWR these are only going to become rarer with the passage of time so when the opportunity to put together a local deal involving my Goliath 4x10 that I was selling and the M2 preamp JH82Bass was selling on here, it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

As some will know, I currently have the monstrous SM1500 head which, whilst being [u]the[/u] perfect bass head for volume and tone, is only let down by the weight of this beast that means its pretty difficult one-man lift and you certainly don't want to carry it too far on your own :unsure:

The M2 has an almost identical layout to the SM1500, save for the 1500's second bank of semi-parametric mid controls. Other than that, the bass intensifier, full compressor, boost, aural enhancer etc are all present and correct. According to Mr Miller, he re-centred the frequency band of the aural enhancer, but in truth, I can't (as yet) detect any difference between this version and the 1500's (or the 750x/Black Beauty/Redhead that have proceeded this).

The only slight negative is that SWR omitted a headphone out jack, which on a piece of pro-kit like this is a pretty big omission, but its one I can live with.

Now I just need a nice lightweight power amp for a portable rig with that unmistakable JPJ tone B)

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/JPJ/IMG_1007_zpsaef14510.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Alan Fourstrings' timestamp='1397166269' post='2421509']
Something like this, I suppose...
Go for it! This is the best setup I have for years.
The QSC PLX and the SWR MM preamp together are perfect.
[/quote]

That's what I've got in mind Alan :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Fired this tasty little combination up tonight for the first time - oof what can I say :gas: :gas: :gas: :gas:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/JPJ/IMG_1032_zps516d85c9.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1399677181' post='2446715']
Very cool..

Power and control, just hope your speakers are up to it! Ha :lol:
[/quote]

I hope so too! Tried it at rehearsal last night through my 8ohm 4x10 (1,000w) and it sounded lovely, to the point where I couldn't differentiate between this and the SM1500. Gigging it on Sunday through the 6x10 so we'll see how that goes. Based on last night, and I can't believe I'm thinking this, but the SM1500 may have taken one step towards the door :o

Oh and now nicely flightcased up and ready for the road B)

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/JPJ/IMG_1034_zps70de4e44.jpg[/IMG]

Singer, guitarist and bass player all mesmerised by the power of the SWR/QSC combination :D B)

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/JPJ/10333697_10202685984683464_3867406064672303686_o_zps2afbeaaa.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by JPJ

Great pic! Ha!

I would occasionally use my little Crest VS650 to drive a Peavey HiSys 2MXT when I played in my soul band which worked well. I simply used the NE-1 as a pre-amp which was small and convenient. Don't get me wrong, I generally prefer some glass bottles in my signal path and usually big ones as a power stage but as a stage monitor, it worked a treat.

Glad you're happy with the new kit. :D