Why become a member? ×

problems w/ the D-string on my JB

worship_mud

hi there everyone,

i searched the forum, but couldn't find an answer to my question, so bare with me, if this has been discussed somewhere else....

i got myself a '97 Fender American Standard Jazz bass for little money from a friend of mine who hasn't played it for several years and was lying under his bed.

it had dead strings and the neck had to be realigned, but otherwise it seemed ok. as this was planned to be my back-up bass, i had planned to frankentune it and put some bartolini's and the bassmods active preamp (three-way active + passive tone) into it.

as soon as i plugged it into my amp (markbass bigbang w/2x10" traveller cab / tech bassline 4x12) i heard, that the d-string was a lot quieter than the neighbouring G-/A strings. although it's hard to quantify, i'd guess ca. 20% quieter.....

so i tried to remedy this by lowering both PU's on the G-string side, which made the G-string indeed quieter, but didn't level it w/ the D-string.

the effect is more audible on the bridge PU than on the neck PU.

i can't tell how it was when it was still in it's original shape, but as i didn't hear it at the time before the modding, i guess it was at least not as audible as it is now, but i can't tell you for sure, as i didn't play it that much before modding, maybe an hour or two.... (strings were dead and the neck misaligned, so there was no great desire to play it....)

has anyone experienced something similar? any advice on this?

cheers,

w_m

Much deader string perhaps, you never know if they`re all the same set/brand so it could be this, assuming you`ve not put new strings on yet. That would be my first move, new strings see if it still happens. From there, maybe an issue with the nut?

rather new strings are on, admittedly from the grab box beside the entrance at the local music store, rotosounds 45-105, but i played them 3h max

but i'll change the d-string, maybe i messed it up while putting the strings on and off to mount the PU's and preamp. thx in the meanwhile, will report back.

Ah, could well be a dead Roto - this sometimes happens with them. Does that string still have that new "ring" to it, or does it sound decidedly duller, if so quality control on the string itself could be the problem.

• 2 weeks later...