Why become a member? ×

P90s or HBs in 335 pup upgrade

Bassnut62

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1399113759' post='2441132']

Personally I prefer Dimarzio. :)
[/quote]Me too (and Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson - although the SD P90 Soapbar is my favourite of that type) and as a company they seem more customer focused; I once asked SD a question - nothing, asked DiMarzio a question and got an answer with 48 hours from Steve Blucher himself. Maybe that's a East/West Coast thing as I've found Tech21 to be hugely helpful and on the ball too.

• 1 month later...

Finally got the work done on the early Korean Peerless Epi Dot....swapped pups for covered Seymour Duncan 59s and JB and swapped the wiring, pots, switch, tuners, bridge, etc for USA spec in nickel to match the pup covers. Got the pups tapped and the plastic nut swapped for bone too, plus a fret-hone and set up.
It now plays and sounds SO much better than stock hardware that comes on those Epi Dots.
So far I really like these pups; they can roll-off to be mellow or be dimed to drive an amp with just the right amount of heat. I particularly like that (when tapped) the pups sound just as tonefull and strong in single coil mode, like they were always meant to be single coil. Whereas some tapped humbuckers just sound to me like weak versions of the untapped tone. There seems to be much less difference in volume between tapped and untapped too, which makes them much easier to live with.

Haven't gigged with it at full volume yet though. That will be the ultimate test.

Still wish I had another with P90s though!....GAS again!!

Edited by Bassnut62