Why become a member? ×

Crackle on bass cab

bassituation

Hi, I have a Marshall MBC 115 bass cab which his developed a crackle on both the main speaker and the tweeter. When I switch the tweeter off, I still have a crackle, when I switch the tweeter back on I have a clearer crackle! The crackle occurs at low volume as well as high volume, but when I turn the volume right up, it mostly drowns the crackle out. So there is my confusing set of symptoms, could both main speaker and tweeter blow at the same time, and if the speakers have blown wouldn't the crackle get worse with more volume? Btw, I've already connected a different amp, different bass and different leads to isolate the cab and checked all the screws and the circuit board for dry joins - nothing. Your thoughts would be welcome, before I open my wallet? Cheers.

I'd go along with the jack connector as a possible culprit.

I had an Ashdown cab once, that did exactly as described. I convinced myself it was the speaker, and even went as far as getting hold of a replacement driver for it, but it turned out all it needed was a new jack socket.

3 quid and ten minutes later...job done.

Check the big heavy coil on the circuit board. I had an MBC410 that did the same thing and it was this coil. The way it's mounted puts a lot of stress on the connections and mine had broken away. I ended up moving it off the board and soldered in short lengths of wire to connect it to the board