Why become a member? ×

Markbass LMII and LMK amps... are they meant to sound different ?

loweringthetone

I recently bought an LMK from Old Horse Murphy as a 2 channel replacement for my LMII. I thought the LMK was just a 2 channel LMII and would sound exactly the same, but now Im not so sure...

I did a direct comparison. At the same settings (12 o'clock everything, using only channel 1 on the LMK) and using the same high quality leads etc.

- the LMK was noticeably louder (needed less volume), was more punchy and seemmed to have more 'balls' than the LMII. It also ran hotter - the amp was noticeably warm.
- the LMK made an Aguilar GS112 (tweeter version) sparkle, whereas the LMII didnt fire up the GS in the same way - it just gave lots of bass.
- the LMII gave a beautifully pure and smooth P bass sound with my rosewood f/b '75 precision and also seemed to more accurately map in a hifi way the sounds of other basses. This included input from another amp - a GK150MBE which gives a very distinctive colour.
- these trends were apparent though a GS112 and also when the same amps were used with a very different sounding cab - a 210 Markbass Std with Neos.
- a Ricky 4001 with stainless strings, was just too zingy through the LMK/210 combination and needed tons of EQ to get it under control, but surprisingly was more smooth and controllable using the LMII/210.

To me, these rather subjective tests all point to the LMII having less top end than the LMK, and I know some members of the forum have suggested the LMII might suffer roll off of top end. However I cant explain the enhanced loudness or ballsiness of the LMK.

The LMII is dated 01- 2007 and I bought from new,.
The LMK is dated 10-2007 and also appears to be in very good nick. I noticed that the input jack was a bit crackly (dirt ?) but othewise it seems fine.

Are these amps just different ?? Any experiences or explanations you could share would be much appreciated

Thanks & best wishes

Colin

Edited by loweringthetone

According to the manual the LMK has its high freq set at 5khz and the LMII at 10khz.
Maybe that would account for the difference in tone through the tweeter.
i think with 10khz being quite high maybe its not as effective.

EDIT: Actually the manual is quite confusing so i might have got that wrong.

Edited by dave_bass5