Why become a member? ×

Overwater Scott Devine build

BassBus

It is amazing the power you get from a 9v circuit in the East preamps. I have two Retros and an ACG filter pre. All great bits of kit. The Overwater is so much more straightforward though. I do sometimes get a bit lost on the East kit if I haven't used them for a while.

Well, today I had a very relaxing drive down the A7 to Carlisle to collect my very own Overwater. Step through the Door to Dreams...

...and climbed the Stairway to Heaven...

...and had a good chat with Martin. He showed me some of the basses in progress. So many different shapes and sizes of templates. Staggered how many different sizes of Jazz bodies there are for different string spacing, number of frets and neck widths. All the Inspiration necks and bodies that are in stock. Fascinating just seeing all the different stages of production.

Ah, and behind the red door tonight is.........

Ha ha, well done that man! Martin said you were coming down to collect the bass. It really is quite an experience, the guys at Overwater do a fantastic job, and it is a wonderful and interesting place to visit, especially when the visit is to collect your new bass!

Looking forward to hearing your playing impressions of the bass.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

This has been a great build diary, interesting and well documented. Thank you.

RK

Thanks RK. I think you were on the phone when I arrived.

The first notes I played at Overwater rang out with such ease. I have never played a fretless that was so easy to get good vibrato from. Others I have played need to move your finger on the board quite a bit to get that lovely tone. On this one even a small movement produces this lovely clear vibrato.

Just running your hand over the finish on the bass is a joy, so smooth. Naturally it looks fantastic. Pictures never quite show it off at its best. You need to move it around in the light to get the best from the figuring.

There's a bit of a story behind ordering this bass. In 2009 one of my customers sold up and moved into a care home. We ended up staying in touch as friends and I would run little errands for her and take her out for runs in the car from time to time. I ended up getting quite close to her up to her death in April last year aged 92. To my surprise she left me a bequest in her will. I thought the best memorial I could have for Sheila was something I would get a lot of enjoyment from so this it that memorial. She would definitely have approved of the quality.

I'll spend more time on it tomorrow but I just have to recover from near five hours of driving today. Now I'll just enjoy looking at it.

Yes, I was chatting to Martin earlier on today. Martin is a master builder, and a hell of a player too. He has also been my teacher, and mentor, for some years now.

The story behind the bass is very moving, and will ensure that Sheila's legacy remains with you for a long time. Fantastic.

What you need is a revolving stand, to put the bass on, then you don't have to keep picking it up to look at the back too! ha ha. I was exactly the same when I bought my first (pre-owned) OW, and even moreso with the one I had Martin build for me.

Enjoy the whole ownership experience Graham. I am so pleased for you.

RK

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1399195820' post='2441876']
Premier league!
[/quote]

That about sums it up Andy. Looks and sounds great and it even smells great. Don't know what that makes me sound like :D

It has a lovely punchy tone but when you play over the end of the neck that brings out a fullness of tone like nothing else. Might be worth thinking about an RK ramp between the front pickup and the neck.

Only problem is when it comes to going into the nuclear shelter, do I take my Status S2 or the Overwater. Both as good as each other. There's only one way to find out...