Why become a member? ×

Midi master controller thing

elephantgrey

I currently have 3 pedals that run off of midi (with plans for more), and a midi keyboard. I currently have them all connected in a chain (with one device as master, with the keyboard into it, and the other two as slaves, middle one sending midi thu signal (same output as is put into it).
As im thinking of expanding this in the future (more pedals controlled by midi, and a midi foot controller to control various things, mainly in the drum machine). I am starting to think that chaining the midi though all of the pedals will soon become overly complicated, and might even cause a lag in the signal (each device adding latency). What im wondering is if there is a device that i can get to connect all of my other midi devices to, and controls what signal go to which (a bit like a mixing desk, taking clock/start-stop/program change/note etc in from each device and sending them to where i want them to go). Is there any such device about, or would it to be to do using a raspberry pi and a usb interface with multiple inputs? (something like [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-MidiBox-Merge-Interface-Vista/dp/B00ANHYJ20"]this[/url] maybe?)

Many thanks in advance,
elephantgrey.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1394560465' post='2392742']
You just need a MIDI thru box with enough outputs for all your devices.
[/quote]
I dont just want to send one midi signal to multiple devices, i would also like to designate which parts of the midi goes to which device, like tempo & start message from drum machine to the rest, key messages from keyboard to drum machine, program change from foot controller to all, a message to loop pedal to start/stop particular loops from foot controller, things like that.
I guess i could just use a merge box to merge foot controller and keyboard into the drum machine, and then split the signal with a thru box to the rest of the pedals, but then i would have to filter out commands on the individual pedals. which is annoying. Would also like to have different switches on the foot controller to send program change messages to different pedals.

TBH unless you are sending a lot a of MIDI information including polyphonic aftertouch and clock info from your master controller and you are getting noticeable latency on the receiving devices you don't really need any filtering other than what the the MIDI channel messages do. The MIDI Thru box will simply put all your MIDI devices a single step away from the master, and you'll probably find that by going to a star configuration from daisy-chaining will sort out all your problems.

If you really want to play with MIDI routing your best bet is one of the more high end MIDI interfaces that are designed to go with a computer. Make sure that you get one that has patch memories and will work in stand-alone mode with out a computer attached and powered up (a lot of the newer ones don't). I'd suggest the [url=http://www.motu.com/products/midi/xpressxt_usb/body.html]MOTU MIDI Express XT[/url]. You'll need a computer to program the routing and filtering options, but once you've saved your preset(s) it will work without the computer attached.