Why become a member? ×

PA setup help

Hello,

Looking for some help with PA setup. I'm new to this so haven't a clue.

We have 2 peavey 800x power amps. One powers some bose speakers, the other powers a bose bass bin. We also have a 16ch mixing desk.
Problem is speakers work fine, but we are getting next to no sound through through the bass bin. (signal is there)

The bass bin is plugged directly into the peavey with a DI and an audio jack. Both amps have been checked and work fine.

Any help greatly appreciated

:)

[quote name='bassbonehead' post='236240' date='Jul 10 2008, 01:24 AM']Hello,

Looking for some help with PA setup. I'm new to this so haven't a clue.

We have 2 peavey 800x power amps. One powers some bose speakers, the other powers a bose bass bin. We also have a 16ch mixing desk.
Problem is speakers work fine, but we are getting next to no sound through through the bass bin. (signal is there)

The bass bin is plugged directly into the peavey with a DI and an audio jack. Both amps have been checked and work fine.

Any help greatly appreciated

:)[/quote]

Is the bass bin active? I ask as you say there is a DI connector. If it is active it means that it has a built in power amp and will not need the Peavey to drive it just a line feed from the desk. If it has a mains power connector then it's active.

Dave

Any crossovers anywhere in the system? Normally you'd have some system in between the speaker outs from the desk, and the speakers, to split the frequencies - the highs and mids through the hi range speakers, and the bass end through the sub. If the sub isnt working hard, and the regular speakers are giving full range output, thats not ideal - you want to be able to drive the sub seperately, so you dont blow the hi range speakers out, and so you can turn up the sub to pump the bass higher.

No the bass bin is not active.
We are connecting the desk to the amps with the two cables supplied ( 3pin ????)
There is a crossover.
There are high and low output connectors on the peavey.

When I say DI I mean the 3 pin male/female jobby.....is that DI?

turning up the output on the bass bin amp (even a little bit) causes feedback from hell

Thanks for all help so far. :)

I would check all cables.

Where to start.
It sound as if you could be feeding the signal back in on its self so it may be just incorrect wiring , also Make sure the amps are not bridged.

Is the amp a Peavey Cs800x, what is the crossover

Is it wired
Desk XLR outs to crossover inputs
Cross over high XLR output to top amp XLR input. To Bose tops.
Cross over low XLR output to bottom amp XLR input. To Bose bins.

If still not working try taking the crossover out and connect one side of the desk to one side of the amp connected to a speaker at a time to try and eliminate the problem.

If the amp the Peavey CS800,s
If so do you use the daft filters that plug in the back.

Ps
XLR 3 pin is balanced line not DI.
Hope that helps

Edited by ironside1966

[quote name='bassbonehead' post='236992' date='Jul 11 2008, 12:19 AM']There is a crossover.
There are high and low output connectors on the peavey.[/quote]

Are you sure the high and low outputs are a crossover? Maybe high is for passive speakers and low is for active instead? If you're getting the full range from your tops that would add up.

Do you have any filer switches engaged?

Thanks Ironside, will print this out and take it with me to next rehearsal. (Tuesday)

Not sure what the crossover is.
Not using any filters.
What lead should we use to connect the amp to the bass bin. XLR or Audio jack. There seems to be a choice of male XLR, Female XLR and Audio jack in the back of the bass bin?

For the top bose speakers we are using Audio jacks (only choice)

A crossover is a device that split the signal in to different frequencies.
Some speakers have passive crossovers built in.

Can you give more details of the make and model of the desk, amp plus speakers and any controllers that you use, then I might be able to advise you on how to correctly wire the system.

At this moment in time I would say use male XLR for speaker input, but not 100%
Female XLR always gives the signal, male XLR takes.

I think Bose speakers use a controller such as

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bose-802-c-system-controller_W0QQitemZ260260013946QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260260013946&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bose-802-c-system-co...p3286.m14.l1318[/url]

I used to use the Csx800 amps that Ironside 1966 attached a few years ago, but with a separate crossover.

I have never used the internal one. It looks to me by looking at the connectors on the photo, that to use that properly, you would need to go from your mixer into the jack inputs on the crossover section, and then put a jack to jack patch lead from the relevant crossover output (high or low) to the amplifier channel input.
You would then output from the amplified output section (binding posts or jack). I think the output from the Hi and Low jacks are at line level, not amplified.

I would prefer to see the diagram on the top of the amp before I said that was definite.

IIRC, the Bose 802 crossover is a passive unit that confusingly is all jack inputs and outputs. The amount of "engineers" I have seen plug that up AFTER the signal has been amplified is untrue. And that's from people who claim to know what they're doing!

If I can remember correctly, the Peavey amps use detachable barrel like plug-ins that act as filters or crossovers.

If there is nothing attached to the back of the amps, use the XLR input if there is a XLR output on the desk. Use one of the two jack inputs at the top of the XLR if the desk output is Jack.

I would look for the manual on peavey website! Instead of plugging in and hoping for the best!
It does look like the high/low outputs are purely for a line signal to another amp/slave etc..(ie: not to your passive speakers!)
The high/low on the inputs are purely for "input signal" kinda balancing (if you had a mixer or preamp with high gain you,d use the "low" input (i think GET THE MANUAL)
But....LOL... I have not the faintest idea about the curious looking "transformer" thingies on the back!?

Again MANUAL!??

PS
It would pay dividends maybe, if you are using the "XLR" connections on your Mixer, to check the wiring config` (ie tip 1 =hot or whatever) against the peavey`s xlr inputs (that may be the cause of the feedback??)

PSSS!!
There are quite a few "800" amps on the peavey website, so you'll need the exact model number,and all are there for free!!
GET IT NOW!!
Jg

Edited by justgone

It can all get very complicated with crossovers etc... Too complicated for me. For years our passive bass bins linked to EV tops and a dynachord desk were little more than very heavy speaker stands. We invested in some wharfdale powered bottoms and the difference is massive. The bass is thrown out to the back of the room especially where this never happened before. The kick and toms of the drums sound much better and our EV tops have now got a bit more headroom and are crystal.

In my limited experience with PA's get powered bottoms

I'd agree wholly with that last comment!
We use a fully active HK Audio system and the sound is IMMENSE! But they are expensive! Doh!

The curious looking "transformer" thingies appear to be some kind of signal balancing gubbins, and NOT a crossover.
I think (Hmmmmm..dont say it..) that the XLR Inputs require these "plug-ins" for a balanced signal.
I'd refer to someone who really knows (Peavey?) Or someone on here who used them.
You could try the "jacks" but you'll have an unbalanced signal input which could result in unwanted signal noise (or even HUM!)??

Jg

Edited by justgone

It is such a long time ago that I have used Peavey amps, so I am not 100% sure.

I think how it works is this.
Plug the desk into jack inputs above the hi and low outs, place a barrel like filter or crossover in the big socket, then patch the low output to the High z input.
If you want to use both sides, patch the spare High z input of channel A to the High z input of channel B,
Connect to bass bin.

Patch the high output to the High z input of channel B or another amp ,
Connect to tops.

This setup is not a stereo setup but duel mono.