Why become a member? ×

Power amp or stick with Ampeg PF500?

Wooks79

I was looking at something to use as a power amp when wanting to play through either a preamp pedal, or with jamup on the iPad and such like...

I can't really see any small very portable poweramps, and wanted to get opinions...

Should I be looking at poweramps, or will I be best of sticking to using the ampeg PF500 and going directly into the power amp section?

Obviously the ampeg would be cheapest, as I've already got it, but wondered if anyone knew any better power amp solutions please?

I searched for ages and couldn't find anything useful. PJB and TecAmp do/did a 500w class D power amp in a sort of MB200 style enclosure which would have suited but unfortunately prohibitively expensive and extremely rare.

All others I found were built to fit in a rack case. Impractical for my needs and I'm guessing impractical for you also?

I think manufacturers are missing a trick here. If you can get a 1000w into a bass amp not much larger than a cigar case, why isnt the market flooded with tiny power amps? I'd buy one! It'd beat dragging around my 35kg C-Mark doodad. I have a tiny mixer, why not a tiny power amp aswell?

Truckstop

There was the SWR amplite, but that never seemed to take off. Demeter do the Minnie as well. It seems a little odd there aren't more of these things about, but then dedicated bass power amps in general are a little thin on the ground. There's obviously more choice for pro sound stuff but they're usually looking for 19" rack mounted equipment.

I'd just stick with what you have. :)