Why become a member? ×

QSC power amp, 1202 or 1602

Bassdriver

I'm looking at getting a power amp to use with my SVP Pro pre amp after the SVP power amp I was using blew several components mid gig and has been deemed uneconomical to repair.

I'm edging towards either a QSC PLX1202 or a 1602. I'll be using it mostly with 2x EA CXL12s (350w, 8ohm). I also have 2x Vanderkely MNT12s (600w, 8ohm) and a Barefaced Vintage T (up to 1500w apparently, 4ohm) and would want to use these with the rig from time to time.

I could bridge the 1202 into the Vans and BF. If I understand things correctly this would give 1200w into the 4ohm load of either the BF or 2 Vans linked in parallel. Sufficient I reckon but maybe too much for the CXLs. If I connect one each to channel 1 and 2 outputs with the amp in parallel mode they are only going to get 215w each as each channel will be driving an 8ohm load, or 375w with the amp in stereo mode and the linked cabs connected to one channel. I'm wondering if that will be enough for them.

I could also bridge the 1602 into the BF which would probably be quite something to behold as long as I don't run the amp flat out, I might bridge it with the Vans too but keep gain below 1/2. The CXLs would get a healthy 325w each from the amp running in parallel mode but if I chose to run the Vans this way they'd only be getting just over half their rated power. I know speaker sensitivity plays a big part in things so this might not be such an issue.

So I guess my question is, assuming I understand correctly how running power amps in different modes changes things, which is something I've only just been learning about which of these two amps would be most suitable to use with all these lovely cabs? The 1202 seems like it might do but might not give the CXLs quite enough power, or far too much. The 1602 seems like it would cope with everything as long as I'm careful bridging with the Vans.

I'm edging towards the 1602. Would this be overkill? Do I need the extra power? Would the 1202 be more suitable, or would I be better to have a little extra power available for the future. Ha, maybe I'm just overthinking the whole thing :unsure: :rolleyes: :)

I play some fairly large stages sometimes and I'm just concerned with on stage sound. FOH speakers take care of the room. The SVP 1500 was plenty loud enough with the Vans and BF although I never used it with the CXLs.

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to reading some opinions.

I wouldn't worry about using the 1602 with the "lower power" cabs. As long as you use your ears and the cabs dont start distorting then they should be OK. If they start to distort / amp clips then just turn down a bit. :)

I used mine with various configurations of an SWR 4x10 & 1x15 (2 channel), a Schroeder 4x10 & 2x15 (bridged) and Barefaced Big Twin T (bridged) and they always sounded great used for practice at home, small quiet gigs and noisy pub gigs. :D The higher power gives you a little more headroom to play with. I find its easier to turn an amp down than squeeze more clean volume from it.

I upgraded to a Powersoft and have been keeping my 1602 as a backup but think I need to advertise it on here..... ;)

That's all helpful, cheers :)

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1394031664' post='2387129']
I wouldn't worry about using the 1602 with the "lower power" cabs. As long as you use your ears and the cabs dont start distorting then they should be OK. If they start to distort / amp clips then just turn down a bit. :)
[/quote]

Yes, better to have too much than not enough is kind of what I was thinking. Just because you've got it doesn't mean you need to use it all. I reckon these cabs will be well past the point of being loud enough before the extra power gives them any trouble.

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1394031664' post='2387129']
I upgraded to a Powersoft and have been keeping my 1602 as a backup but think I need to advertise it on here..... ;)
[/quote]

Heh heh, perhaps you should. I'm sure a quality item like that will be snapped up rather quickly ;) ;)

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1394040134' post='2387283']
The vanderkleys are 600w aes each right? They should cope with the 1602 at least as well as the BF vintage, and might need it more too as they're probably a little lighter in the bass end.
[/quote]

Yes, 600w each. I think they'll be fine yes. Perhaps it's just the BF having a flatter freq response but I actually find the Vans not necessarily bassier of the two but definitely warmer sounding, until things get really loud of course when the BF will keep pushing out more bass when the Vans are running out. I haven't got to that point yet though. Need some bigger gigs :D

I've been using the QSC 2404 with mesa boogie cabs for about 7 years now and its been great. I only use one channel of the QSC and turn the its gain full on and use my pre-amp and bass volume to control the level to suit. That gives me a big clean meaty powerful tone, loads of headroom without blowing anything up.
The only thing I don't like about the QSC amps is the weight.

Jazzyvee

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1394064653' post='2387685']
How much does the PLX1602 weigh...?

Greetings Bassdriver - how's that Trace Elliot V6 and BF Vintage T working for you...?

;)
[/quote]

Not as much as a V6 that's for sure. Loving it mate. Nice to see you. Will PM you in a while and avoid hijacking my own thread :)