Why become a member? ×

MXR Blowtorch fault and help?

Pinball

Hi, I have a problem. my pedal board has been sucking bass tone and the culprit seems to be my DI box. I have noticed that the blue light on my Blowtorch remains on all the time. It does change the sound when I hit the button but it seems to continue to suck bass tone. Is it likely to be fixed by putting in a new switch or is it something more serious?

Is it worth fiddling with or do I need to throw it away and get something else?

Edited by Pinball

Hmm, thanks thats interesting. I have one of those in-line adapters it may be that is acting up and the "tone sucking" may be somewhere else. I'll do some more investigations tomorrow. I don't think the neighbours would appreciate me testing it out now. :)

Well I checked my set up. The way I have it is a direct line from my Belcat power station, to a Diago 9v to 18v converter and then into the Blowtorch so that should have been fine. I tried if with Batteries and the same story, the light just stays on all the time. My technical assessment is that its stuffed and just to finish it off one of the battery compartment catches broke while putting the batteries in :)

Scrap?

Now moving on to investigate the tone sucking problem without the MXR in the chain

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1393332056' post='2378766']
What is your current board running? I have (hopefully) just sorted mine out as it was horrendous!
[/quote]

Running from left to right

OUT....MORLEY BASS WAH.....EBS UNICHORUS.....OVERDRIVE (WAS BLOWTORCH)...EBS MULTICOMP.....DIGITECH HT6 TUNER...IN

True bypass is your friend here, your signal chain is not too long, so if your ebs pedals are the new true bypass versions, your life will become easier. If tu are not, then you may want to look at getting a effects loop box. You can get them off eBay, and they may seem expensive, but having just built a four way effect loop box, I think I would just buy one ready made! I enjoyed making it but it does take a while, and it becomes a bit tedious if it doesn't work properly first go.
Try an keep a high quality buffered pedal in the middle of you chain, not sure what the ebs pedals are like in this respect but do some research on a suitable pedal, I use a MI Audio boost n buff.
Then look at your patch leads, I have just rebuilt
Mine using lava solderless, and in hindsight this was probably a major contributing factor to the tone suck on my board.
Hope this helps!!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1393408823' post='2379787']
True bypass is your friend here, your signal chain is not too long, so if your ebs pedals are the new true bypass versions, your life will become easier. If tu are not, then you may want to look at getting a effects loop box.
Try an keep a high quality buffered pedal in the middle of you chain, not sure what the ebs pedals are like in this respect but do some research on a suitable pedal, I use a MI Audio boost n buff.
Then look at your patch leads, I have just rebuilt
Mine using lava solderless, and in hindsight this was probably a major contributing factor to the tone suck on my board.
Hope this helps!!
[/quote]
Thanks, the EBS pedals are "true bypass". I already have a loop and tuner out box so will maybe use that to loop out the Wah and tuner.
I'm noticing a difference with the blowtorch removed so guess the fault was having a n effect because (it used to be fine). If I get a true bypass distortion or fuzz I should be back on track.

Edited by Pinball