Why become a member? ×

Bass with GarageBand

Milesinho

I've started using GarageBand to record stuff. The guitar goes directly into the Mac via an Apogee Jam and all the preset effects and pedals sound great.

I want to add baselines as well but I just can't get any sort of remotely decent sound out of the bass guitar no matter what effects I apply. Has anyone got any advice? Do I need to go through an amp (which I'm reluctant to do as I don't have much space to spare) or is there a setting that I'm missing.

I'm not looking for any particularly specific tone or anything like that. I just need a decent generic rock bass sound.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1393160903' post='2376781']
Thought there was amp design in GarageBand ?

It's been ages since I used it but it definitely used to have it.
[/quote]

There is.
There's also a load of various bass tone presets you can use as well.
Depends what you're looking for I guess.

[quote name='Milesinho' timestamp='1393340689' post='2378967']
I guess I'm being dumb but I can't see them. I'm using the Mac version, not iPad.
[/quote]

I'm using a Mac too, but mines an older one so maybe the newer versions are different (I'm running Garageband '11).

Anyway, try this - when you create a new track select the "Real Instrument" option. When the track is created there will be a list of presets for different instruments on the right hand side of the screen. Select "Bass" and you'll have the option of 26 different bass presets to use.