Why become a member? ×

Drop B string gauge help? using a Geddy Lee Jazz

Ant_On_Bass

Hi guys, i was just wondering if you could give me some advice, the guitarist in our band wants to mix up the tunings a bit and start using drop B, i've never really used drop B and i'm not too sure as to what string size i should be looking at getting as im used used to using 105's for our normal tunings so any help would be awesome :-D

i've actually got a set of Ernie ball custom gauge 5 string 135, 105, 85, 70, 50 from when i owned my 5 string corvette, do u reckon i could get away with using them? 135 will feel mahooosive and i'm not 100% sure it will fit in the bass nut! i don't really want to file it down, i may have to invest in another bass if it doesnt fit :-P

[quote name='Ant_On_Bass' timestamp='1392570112' post='2370149']
i've actually got a set of Ernie ball custom gauge 5 string 135, 105, 85, 70, 50 from when i owned my 5 string corvette, do u reckon i could get away with using them? 135 will feel mahooosive and i'm not 100% sure it will fit in the bass nut! i don't really want to file it down, i may have to invest in another bass if it doesnt fit :-P
[/quote]

it seems big but you do get used to it very quick, is the nut on your bass removeable? you could always get on made up for the drop b tuning

andy