Why become a member? ×

hofner verythin bass

stjohn

I just brought a hofner verythin bass (contemporary series) and boy, am I impressed! The set up was dire from New (nothing new there) but after a serious going over it is absolutely sublime.
It needed the string spacing at the bridge widening, the edges of the fingerbaord rolling, frets and fingerbaord polishing and a serious dose of lemon oil, the pickups lowering (more on this at the end) and the intonation, action and truss rod doing. However, this is what I would expect really and the bass, when finished, absolutely sings.

If there are any hofner addicts out there a bit of a question. I would like to lower the humbuckers a bit more ideally, but they don't seem to be adjustable-is this correct or am I missing something?
Cheers chaps.

I had one for a couple of years as my main bass. When we recorded our last album the producer who has perfect pitch was a bit squiffy about the intonation which was slightly laughable as that is part of the charm of these old 60s style hollowbodies. Anyhow I suspect it was down to the strings being duff but I sold it and returned to Fender. It played great and had a really sweet tone. Can't recall the pickup adjustment though, sorry.