Why become a member? ×

Fender Performer

Precision

I first became aware of these rarities as recently as last year in a magazine. Then a couple of weeks ago the chance came up to buy this beauty and I couldn't resist. The guy even drove it personally to my house in Newcastle all the way from London to ensure it reached me safely.
All I can say is it's astounding. I've had the lot - Rickenbackers, Jazzes, Precisions, Flying V, even a Gibson Explorer bass but I've never played (or seen) anything quite like this. The two-octave neck is wonderfully thin and plays like a dream. This Performer is in incredible condition for being 28 years old and the only modification - and a wise one at that - is the addition of Schaller strap locks. An exceptional bass!

Edited by Precision

Nice score. Always liked these.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1391831385' post='2361860']
I'd never heard of these before seeing this but it's beautiful! Where were they made? Must be rarer than hen's teeth!
[/quote]

There was an early US run, and then production shifted to Japan.

They were only made for 12 months between 1985 and 1986. The models like mine were made in Japan, and were sold by Fender for around $500. There was indeed a US version called the Fender Performer Elite which retailed at around $1,000 at the time. Thanks for the compliments - it's even better looking than the photos suggest!

• 5 months later...

True they are very rare, but here's one that's just surfaced on ebay.
'Tis in the States though.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1986-Fender-Performer-Bass-Guitar-Gun-Metal-Blue-John-Page-grlc1373-/301259774461?pt=Guitar&hash=item46247b59fd"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item46247b59fd[/url]

Edited by Precision