Why become a member? ×

First Bass: Ibanez SR500 + AMP

Xeron Brigs

I have decided to start playing the Bass Guitar, so I took the advice of the "Buying your first bass" thread and went to a local music store to try some out.

While there, I picked up an [url="http://www.ibanez.com/bass/guitar.aspx?m=SR500"]Ibanez SR500[/url], plugged it into a random amp, and started playing it. The bottom line: I really liked that Bass: everything from the fret length to the sound it made when I played it was exactly what I was looking for. Before I bought it, I wanted to get some advice on the matter from people who know a whole lot more about the Bass than I do.

I have two questions:

1. Is there a Bass Guitar that might be of better quality than this one and not cost too much more?

2. What is a good Amplifier that I can purchase to get the most out of a Bass? (My Roland Micro Cube is probably not going to work :))

Thanks in advance!

i've played bass for a few years now, the ibanez SR500 was one on my first and its about the only one i've owned for over a year. its a brilliant bass, if you've got the money for it i'd say definatly go for it, they're outstanding basses for the price. as to getting a better one for the price - i doubt it. even if you did find a better one for the price you wouldn't need it, and it wouldn't be as good for a beginner cos the ibanez has got a really thin neck and is really light. defo go for it.

I definitely agree with it being light-weight: I picked up a much cheaper Squier and the thing felt like a lead-weight, although the larger neck didn’t bother me too much (I have large hands.)

I am probably going to go ahead and get the Ibanez SR500, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t making a bad decision or that there weren’t better options available for a similar price.

The Roland Cube 30 Bass Amp sounds like a good buy, although I was also considering a Warwick Blue Cab 30. Any more input on this?

I'd say the SR series is a great bass to start on. Good build, good sound & nice to play as well.

As for the amp, if you're just looking for a practice amp, the Bass Cube 30 is ample. I've used one for large theatres, but in a band situatiuon, you'd be better of with a Cube 100 or an Ashdown Electric Blue 180/15. I have the BassCube 100 for smaller gigs & it's a great amp.

+1 for the SR500, mine is my third bass, and for the price its amazing. the sound is really good as is the amount of different tones you can get out of it, easy to play and pretty light, looks good too. go for it.
as for an amp i can also recommend the ashdown electric blue ( i have the slightly more expensive and powerful mag 300 2x10 combo) and the ibanez sounds really nice through it.

The Ibanez SR500 is a great bass but another bass you should check out is the ESP Ltd D-4. I played one the other day and it has a very good tone - perhaps even better than the SR500. In fact I preferred the D-4 to the SR500.

Specs:

* Merbau body
* Neck-through-body construction
* 5-piece mahogany-maple neck
* 34" scale
* Standard 42mm nut
* Rosewood fingerboard
* 24 XJ frets
* Black nickel hardware
* Grover tuners
* ESP BB-604 string-thru-body bridge
* ESP SB-4 pickup set
* Volume and balance controls
* ESP ABQ3 3-band active EQ

You can pick this bass up for £329 online. It also came of no surprise to me when I read that the D-4 won Guitar & Bass Magazine 2007 award for best bass under £1000.

[quote name='Xeron Brigs' post='235247' date='Jul 8 2008, 08:27 PM']Thanks for the responses, all of them were really helpful.

Its good that so many of you are willing to help a new bass player with some of the most basic questions.[/quote]

lol basic questions are the only ones i know how to answer!