Why become a member? ×

How many basses used in a gig ?

Kevin Dean

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1391446236' post='2357241']
Another happy Hipshot user - awaiting the reveal :rolleyes:
[/quote][quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1391446236' post='2357241']
Another happy Hipshot user - awaiting the reveal :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Ha. Soz, wasn't meant to sound like some secret knowledge.

I was referring to tuning the E string flat so that it stays tuned correctly when flipping the lever up and down. There's a great video that shows you how to do this, I'll try and find it.

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1391506843' post='2357792']
Ha. Soz, wasn't meant to sound like some secret knowledge.

I was referring to tuning the E string flat so that it stays tuned correctly when flipping the lever up and down. There's a great video that shows you how to do this, I'll try and find it.
[/quote]

[quote]
[b]Question:[/b]

WHEN I FLIP BACK TO "E" FROM THE LOWER NOTE I NOTICE IT COMES BACK SHARP - IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY X-TENDER KEY?
[b]Answer:[/b]
No! Your x-tender key is fine, you need to follow this tuning procedure; First tune the E note. With the thumb lever in the up position (E) tune your string up to E. Always tune from flat up to pitch. Now give your thumb lever a quick flick down and up. Check your E note with your electric tuner to see if it came back sharp. If it did, see how sharp it came back. Lets say for example it came back 10 cents sharp. Drop your E string with your tuner down and then bring it back leaving it 10 cents flat of E. Again, give your thumb lever a quick flick down and up. Your E string should pop sharp 10 cents, leaving it exactly on E. Now, flick your lever to the down position and check your lower note. Lets say for example you are tuning the lower note to D. If the note is out of tune, flick the lever back up to the E position, adjust the fine tuning screw either by rotating it counter clockwise to sharpen the lower note, or clockwise to flatten the lower note. Now, flick the thumb lever to the down position and check the low D. If the low D is still out of tune, repeat the procedure by flicking the lever back to E, readjust the fine tuning screw and flick the lever down to D to recheck. When you get your low D in tune, flip the lever up to E, check your E and there you are! Here is the reason behind this tuning procedure: There is always friction between the string and the bone nut. Therefore, the fret board side of your string will be slightly looser than the peg head side of the string. When you use the x-tender key for the first time after tuning, you equalize the difference in string tension causing the note to pop sharp. You must use the x-tender key one time to equalize these tensions after tuning. That's why you leave it slightly flat when you tune your E. And that is why you must flip down to check your D after tuning with the fine tuner. If you are still confused, call us at 607-532-9404 and have your bass and electric tuner in front of you. We have the Xtender Key Tuning procedure published on our web site. You may want to check them out. [url="http://www.hipshotproducts.com/faqs/view/16"]http://www.hipshotproducts.com/faqs/view/16[/url][/quote]

Edited by EssentialTension