Why become a member? ×

Speaker cabinet storage/advice.

NancyJohnson

I need some advice concerning storage of cabinets, please.

I'm running a couple of Hartke Hydrive cabinets (4x10/1x15), when I'm not gigging or rehearsing, these live in a (cosy/warm) brick extension in my house. I'm getting to the point where I'd like to get something smaller/permanent for home use and just store the Hartke stuff in the garage attached to the house, but have some concerns - the garage is dry, but obviously gets cold. The cabinets don't have covers, but I suppose I could just store them face to face and throw a blanket over them to keep any crap off them. I suppose I have concerns over speaker degradation and bring the cabinets from a cold environment into a warm/moistish one.

What's the risk? I see a lot of PA stuff on sale that looks like it's come out of skips!

Any ideas?
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1391188361' post='2354424']
I suppose I have concerns over speaker degradation and bring the cabinets from a cold environment into a warm/moistish one.
[/quote]That concern is valid. Cold speakers don't work to spec, and it takes a long time for them to warm, as the insulation inside them works like a cooler. So long as they're stored above freezing you're OK, but I wouldn't store them where it goes below freezing unless they'll have a few hours to warm up before using them.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1391189207' post='2354440']
That concern is valid. Cold speakers don't work to spec, and it takes a long time for them to warm, as the insulation inside them works like a cooler. So long as they're stored above freezing you're OK, but I wouldn't store them where it goes below freezing unless they'll have a few hours to warm up before using them.
[/quote]

Hi Bill,

Would playing them too cold mean lack of optimum performance, or actual risk of damage?

Doing a little more research here, it seems the main risk seems to be that of condensation/moisture ingress from bringing the speakers from a cold environment into a warm one and using immediately. Consensus seems to be to allow a little time for the speakers to get to room temperature first.

There are a couple of threads over on Talkbass about cabinets being stored in garden sheds in extremely low winter temperatures; the main fear of a couple of posts was that of rodents setting up camp in the cabinet if they had access via ports/baffles!
P

Regarding the actual specifications, the speaker manufacturers should be able to quote operating and storage conditions. Condensation issues can be controlled by placing the cabs in a sealed bin-bag if they really have to be moved from cold storage straight into a warm humid environment.

Bear in mind that while a cab cover will provide physical protection, no amount of insulation will keep it warm when stored in a cold place. Insulation can only slow down the speed of heat transfer (cold or warm) but ultimately everything will end up at the ambient temperature.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1391204312' post='2354662']
Would playing them too cold mean lack of optimum performance, or actual risk of damage?
[/quote]I've had raw drivers that I left in my workshop overnight at 40F measure nearly an octave above spec. If you were to play though them in that state and try to get them sounding normal you might damage them. It's like a car, you don't want to start it cold and go to cruising speed before the oil has come up to temp. Not that you know what cold is, a Scotsman might. :happy:

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1391214631' post='2354752']
I've had raw drivers that I left in my workshop overnight at 40F measure nearly an octave above spec. If you were to play though them in that state and try to get them sounding normal you might damage them. It's like a car, you don't want to start it cold and go to cruising speed before the oil has come up to temp. Not that you know what cold is, a Scotsman might. :happy:
[/quote]

So this is why reggae originated in Jamaica, and not Greenland ;-)
Thanks