Why become a member? ×

Replacement Drivers for my cab

Marvin

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the drivers in my Ampeg cab (B410HLF). As with most older 410s it's not light. I was thinking of putting some Neo drivers in it but haven't a clue what would be a suitable replacement.

The cab measures 650mm(H)x580mm(W)x450mm(D)
The ports are 65mm(H)x260mm(W)x260(D) - I think.

Currently it's a 4ohm cab.

I'd like to keep the character of the cab, it's got a lovely amount of of low end.

Cheers

if you want to keep the character of the cab then don't replace the drivers. The character is both in the low end bloom using those speakers in that size of cab and in the various resonances in the high end. Replacing the speakers will change both though we could probably find something to match the low end. The new speakers might sound better or worse to you but will be different.

The other thing is that there isn't the same choice of Neo drivers as there are ceramic ones. Because neo is an expensive material the neo drivers are designed to be high quality. Your 4x10 is designed on the basis that 4 low cost drivers can do the job as well as fewer more expensive ones. The cab itself is probably fairly heavy too so you wouldn't have a genuine lightweight cab.

If you want lightweight there are plenty of cabs to audition to see if you can get the sound you want and it would probably cost no more to trade up than spending £3-400 on four neo drivers plus the value of your cab.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1391180164' post='2354244']
I'd like to keep the character of the cab, it's got a lovely amount of of low end.
[/quote]You'd have to match the T/S specs and response of the drivers, and Ampeg won't give you that information, nor will Eminence as it's a proprietary OEM driver. I can tell you that the OEM drivers weigh only 6.7 pounds each, so you'd save very little, if any, weight with neos.