Why become a member? ×

Help with pedal chain please

Cyrene

HI.
If I listed the entire range of pedals I own, could someone please suggest an order in which they should be connected please?
I'm particularly concerned about the 'Expression pedal out' on my new Enigma Q Balls in relation to the new Crying Bass.

Here goes:
EHX Steel Leather
Boss CS3 Comp
Ashdown Chorus Plus
EHX BIg Bass Muff Pi
EHX Micro Q Tron
EHX Enigma Q Balls
EHX Crying Bass

Hope any of you can help.
T

Most of the people on here tend to agree that the best order for your effects to go in is the one that sounds right to you. Everyone sets them up differently and some people disagree about what order sounds best (putting your compressor first vs. last, for example).

But if it's noise and tracking etc. that you're worried about, you should check out Shep's blog. There's a decent section on there entitled "Signal Chain Basics" which will give you more information than you'll likely ever need to know.

EDIT: Here's the actual link - https://chris-shepperson-jhvc.squarespace.com/blog/?category=Signal+Chain+BASSics

Paul

Edited by paulpirie8

That's great thanks Paul.
I'm just little concerned about the Enigma/Bass Wah relationship. The Enigma has an 'expression out' line on the same side as the input. Does this automatically mean you put the wah before it? When I tried that, there was no sound at all coming from the output...

You have 3 filter pedals there. It's up to you, but I'd be inclined to try sticking the Enigma after the Wah or Qtron & getting an Exp pedal. This way you can filter the funky wahs in or out ala house music style. :)

Like Paul says though, there's not wrong way to put your pedals. Playing about with your order is 1/2 the fun of having them. Learn what each one does & see what can affect what.

[quote name='Cyrene' timestamp='1391177324' post='2354185']
I'm just little concerned about the Enigma/Bass Wah relationship. The Enigma has an 'expression out' line on the same side as the input. Does this automatically mean you put the wah before it? When I tried that, there was no sound at all coming from the output...
[/quote]

The location of the socket for expression is only relevant to where it wold fit on the PCB and nothing to do with its relation to the input of output.

Shep

[quote name='Cyrene' timestamp='1391177324' post='2354185']
[/quote]

No problem.

I'm not quite sure what it is you're trying to do, though.

If you're trying to use the Crying Bass as an expression pedal (which I'm not sure is possible, you would have to check and see if it's compatible), you would need to take the Crying Bass out of your main signal chain and connect the rest of your inputs and outputs as normal, then plug the output of the Crying Bass into the "Expression Pedal" input on your Enigma.

If you're not trying to use an expression pedal at all and are just a bit confused about it all, then you wouldn't use the Expresion Pedal input on your Enigma at all. Just plug into the Input as normal. In this case, no it won't matter where the Crying Bass goes in your chain. You might want to put it first so that it sits on the right hand side of your board and is easiest to access with your foot but other than that just have fun with it. As above, part of the fun is playing around with you signal chain.

There you are, clear as mud I'm sure.

Paul

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1391179981' post='2354236']
The location of the socket for expression is only relevant to where it wold fit on the PCB and nothing to do with its relation to the input of output.

Shep
[/quote]

If Shep just answered your question then I definitely picked you up wrong and could have saved myself a lot of typing! Haha!

Paul

[quote name='paulpirie8' timestamp='1391180224' post='2354246']
No problem.

I'm not quite sure what it is you're trying to do, though.

If you're trying to use the Crying Bass as an expression pedal (which I'm not sure is possible, you would have to check and see if it's compatible), you would need to take the Crying Bass out of your main signal chain and connect the rest of your inputs and outputs as normal, then plug the output of the Crying Bass into the "Expression Pedal" input on your Enigma.

If you're not trying to use an expression pedal at all and are just a bit confused about it all, then you wouldn't use the Expresion Pedal input on your Enigma at all. Just plug into the Input as normal. In this case, no it won't matter where the Crying Bass goes in your chain. You might want to put it first so that it sits on the right hand side of your board and is easiest to access with your foot but other than that just have fun with it. As above, part of the fun is playing around with you signal chain.

There you are, clear as mud I'm sure.

Paul
[/quote]

That is very helpful. Thanks

My chain goes:

Bass > Expression pedals (on the rare occasion i decide to use them) > Overdrives > Modulation > Delays > Reverbs > Tuner

I like having the tuner at the end of the chain so it acts as a sort of "killswitch" (as well as a tuner obviously).

Really its just about messing around and finding what path gives you the tone you are happy with, lots of trial and error, but well worth it, but remember pedal boards are never "finished"!