Why become a member? ×

MarkBass sound beginning to make sense to me!

molan

Picked up a baby Mark 1x12 combo recently for rehearsal use and really haven't been sure about the overall sound compared to my Euphonic gear.

It's great that it's so tiny & weighs so little but I was really struggling to get a clean crisp sound from it. All seemed way to bottom end for me - which was surprising given the diminutive dimensions.

However I actually got a chance to use it properly last night up against a live drummer & low end keys etc. Seemed to fall really nicely into the overall band mix and after a few tweaks, cut the bass a little, added some upper mids & fiddled with one of the sound contours, I got a really nice tone from it.

Started playing some disco with a pick on my Lakland JO and the guitarist asked me to turn it down a little as it was slicing the top of his head off - and it was only turned up to about 1 on the master (out of 5 notches)!

Feeling much happier with it now :)

I agree - sometimes when i'm playing with my setup at home, i get a little dissatisfied with the sound, but as soon as i'm practicing with the band, i remember exactly why i bought it in the first place :)
Btw, those filters are extremely powerful, especially in a band environment - i have both at 9 o'clock, works great for me, but you may find different settings suit your setup better....

[quote name='El_JimBob' post='232922' date='Jul 4 2008, 09:53 PM']I agree - sometimes when i'm playing with my setup at home, i get a little dissatisfied with the sound, but as soon as i'm practicing with the band, i remember exactly why i bought it in the first place :)
Btw, those filters are extremely powerful, especially in a band environment - i have both at 9 o'clock, works great for me, but you may find different settings suit your setup better....[/quote]

Funnily enough I haven't played with both filters on at once - have tried each in isolation. I'll have a blast with them together next week :huh:

[quote name='El_JimBob' post='232922' date='Jul 4 2008, 09:53 PM']I agree - sometimes when i'm playing with my setup at home, i get a little dissatisfied with the sound, but as soon as i'm practicing with the band, i remember exactly why i bought it in the first place :)
Btw, those filters are extremely powerful, especially in a band environment - i have both at 9 o'clock, works great for me, but you may find different settings suit your setup better....[/quote]
I found with my LM2 that for home practise you just dont get the tone at low volume unless you set the master at 12 o'clock and use the gain for volume control.
For gigging I find I also prefer both filters at 9 or 10 o'clock, all other tones flat.

Regards

Will.

[quote name='2x18' post='233019' date='Jul 5 2008, 08:19 AM']I found with my LM2 that for home practise you just dont get the tone at low volume unless you set the master at 12 o'clock and use the gain for volume control.
For gigging I find I also prefer both filters at 9 or 10 o'clock, all other tones flat.

Regards

Will.[/quote]

Ditto - the Markbass amps don't seem to do 'quiet' so i often find myself setting the input gain and master at gig levels, then turning down on my bass to achieve a lower volume - generally i'm not too big a fan of soloed bass amps - they often sound much better where they belong - in the mix (or maybe it's my technique that's so poor :))