Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is my Peavey Deltabass Crap ? Ideas on replacement wanted

Prosebass

Over the last few years I did a lot of "dance music" with a friend and my basses always went straight through my mixer into the PC. I have had no need for an amp head since I sold my Orange and HH100 and stopped playing live many moons ago.
I recently bought the Deltabass 160 to use when testing and setting up the basses I am making.
At first it seemed ok as most things do if they are different to what you have been used to, but now after a few months it just seems very muddy !
As I am using it to assess my bass builds its nigh on useless because I cannot get a true tone from the basses, which sound wonderful when DI'd into my computer .I'm sure the amp will be fine for small gigs at high volume as it is very loud.
Has anyone any experience with this amp ? any suggestions as to a replacement ? It needs to be transparent to the bass , power output is immaterial as its never gonna move out of my conservatory.
My cab is a Hartke Transporter 2 x 10" 160 watt jobbie.

Maybe a swap for an HH100 would be nice.

cheers Paul

I've used one a couple of times before. I'm personally not a fan of Peavey amps as I've not yet found one that is able to process the mid-range frequencies without muddying them up. They're fine with a scooped sound, but that's very limited.

They make decent cabs, but I really don't think their bass amps cut it.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='231939' date='Jul 3 2008, 01:03 PM']The man that made my basses started importing EBS gear because he found it was the best for what you are trying to do - not a cheap option though.[/quote]
I guess that's why Status sound so good with TE gear, as Rob still has a Mk4 or 5 4x10 combo he uses to test everything :)

EBS gear would indeed be nice as would a few other top end suppliers. Unfortunately all my cash has been put into my new venture so the solution needs to be a little bit cheaper than EBS
There must be some good less expensive heads / combos about that will do what I need it to do.
As its staying at home it doesn't even need to look good or be robust.
Somebody must have some ideas for a clean ,neutral / transparent amp ?

[quote name='Merton' post='231959' date='Jul 3 2008, 01:19 PM']I guess that's why Status sound so good with TE gear, as Rob still has a Mk4 or 5 4x10 combo he uses to test everything :)[/quote]That's interesting. The quintessential 80's Jazz-Funk sound.
Jazz sounds great, funk also, so why has Jazz-Funk got such a stigma?

[quote name='Prosebass' post='232174' date='Jul 3 2008, 05:29 PM']Somebody must have some ideas for a clean ,neutral / transparent amp ?[/quote]
unfortunately neutral and transparent means expensive and I dont suppose your cab is gonna help as Hartke is not known for transparency. All the other stuff I was gonna suggest also comes in at £4-600 as well, like Genz Benz Shuttle or PJB briefcase or EA combo. Keep an eye of whats for sale SH.

Thanks for the input everyone, quality as usual means cost. Come to think of it I have an old Technics class AA hi-fi amp in the attic. Maybe I'll give it a try and see how it does , volume isn't an issue and it ain't being used for gigs so could be interesting.

I remember in the 70's converting all my friends record players into guitar amps.....simpler days...