Why become a member? ×

Upgrade my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz? Pickups?

tommania

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this in but we'll see!
I am looking to upgrade my VMJ. I have already swapped out the stock bridge for a Babicz bridge and this has done wonders. I'm wondering if I should upgrade the electronics at all?

My band are looking to go on a UK tour soon after being signed, and I really want to upgrade my gear to the best it can be.
I'd like to keep the bass rather than buy a completely new better bass. Trying to save money etc.

If you have any suggestions please let me know!

Thanks.
T

Edited by tommania

I did this a few months ago to the same bass, I found the stock Duncan Designed pups were a bit too 'light' for what I wanted. After asking lots of people lots of questions and realising that there is a huge amount of choice out there (ranging from inexpensive ones to very expensive ones) I decided to go with what I knew. My Vintage Fretless - i'm playing in my profile pic - has Wilkinson pickups, and they are really good, in fact it was this bass that made me realise how flat my VM ones were, so I simply added the same pickups to my Squier. Bought them off e-bay for less than £50. Never looked back. So for a relatively cheap way of doing it, you can go down the Wizard route, they get great reviews, look at Wilkinson.

yeah me I went with a gotoh bridge fender 60's custom shops and new pots and wiring loom off of [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/7835-kiogon/"][color=#282828]KiOgon[/color][/url].the end result is a bass with a lovey tone.its quite dark sounding compare to my other basses properly to do with different value pots and cap and theres no hum when just using one pick up.overall still chuffed with the end result and my fender p is now my back up

Edited by bobbytodd