Why become a member? ×

Let me introduce myself ..

Balcro

Hello fellow bassers,

I play for fun and will probably never gig, but I still love bass. I started singing bass & tenor in choirs and learned piano from the age of 6.

I’ve built 2 sets of home hi-fi loudspeakers. One is still in use downstairs.

Spent my formative years taking photos for the college magazine which in turn gave me access to side-of-stage and sometimes a dressing room for many a top group or solo performer. All sorts from “Davey Graham”, “The Strawbs”, “Al Stewart”, “Tom Paxton”, through to “Hiseman’s Colosseum”, “Audience” , “Yes” and my all time favourite, the original Mott the Hoople.

Behind me is a home bult 1 x 18” bass cabinet, that contains a 100watt Celestion G18c. Since I carried the drive unit home by hand from Tottenham Court Road in the early seventies, my arms have not shrunk back to they’re original length. On top of that is an all-original Selmer Treble ‘n Bass 50 valve amp, original except for being recovered in dark blue vinyl. The amp and cab were originally used for playing a home organ, but that has long gone. Neither the amp or cab have had any real use since 1975, but I can’t bear to part with them.

I worked in Environmental Health for over 30 years, so you can love me or hate me. Just remember, I’m the one with brain cells who talked to you as if you were always an adult.
I just love acoustics (science of) in general, audio/hi-fi, speaker enclosure & drive unit design.

My missus bought me an Encore Coaster Bass for my 40th. However work in general and catching the computer bug in 1983 meant I rarely had to time to play. Not only that, but the neighbours were the other side of the walls. Still building & fixing PC’s as a hobby but now that I’m sort of retired (just turned 60) I have more time and a new Ashdown 5-15 with CD input and headphone socket. Great. Playing all sorts of rock & pop. Anything that helps my technique.

The Encore is very heavy and the neck pick-up goes boomy over 70%. Mmmm. those Yamaha RBX374’s feel nice.
Hoping to have a jam with 3 other local guys, all in their 50’s. One is already retired and the other two are all too busy working to rock, but I’ll drag ‘em together eventually.

Cheers all.