Why become a member? ×

Grrrr Squier Mustang Basses

Iheartreverb

Why are the Squier mustang basses such a poor desperate tattoo compared to the rest of the Squier range?
I played one a while back and the neck felt cheap and the finishes and colour options are uninspiring not to mention maple neck!

When the new VM guitars came out there was a unanimous round of applause over how they were so faithful to the models people actually wanted (jazzmasters and stuff) and this is also true of the basses.
Why are the mustang so rubbish in comparison? Maple necks (which I usually prefer but isn't spec) and either black/black or 3TS/black. Come on, give us red and a speed stripe or better better still white/tort.

Sorry guys, Rant over

As a recent Fender Pawn Shop Mustang owner, I have to agree. I don't think the Squier offerings bring much goodness to the table. Then again, Fender's whole ethos seems to be to flood the market with random options in the hope that some will hit the mark and sell.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1388345838' post='2321077']
As a recent Fender Pawn Shop Mustang owner, I have to agree. I don't think the Squier offerings bring much goodness to the table. Then again, Fender's whole ethos seems to be to flood the market with random options in the hope that some will hit the mark and sell.
[/quote]

Sort of agree with you but I know I can sort of pick a model, a year and a colour and sort of find what I want with Squier without even needing to look at a fender. The mustangs just sort of seem like the weakest link.
Would love of of those pawn shop mustangs but more than I have to spend.
My biggest mistake was buying a copy of a bass beginning with 'R' that now of course I can't advertise or sell anywhere

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1388349537' post='2321141']
[b]Sort of[/b] [size=2]agree with you but I know I can sort of pick a model, a year and a colour and[/size] [b]sort of[/b] [size=2]find what I want with Squier without even needing to look at a fender.[/size]
[/quote]
There's your trouble!

[quote name='Wotcher' timestamp='1388358836' post='2321278']
You want rosewood, racing stripe? Try the Mikey Way
[/quote]
I went into my local dealer and tried one out (I normally play a Bronco), I thought it was a solid bass and played very well, nice neck, but it had unfortunately a sparkly finish which I didn't like.

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1388358105' post='2321268']
Oh stop splitting hairs! Might not be the best use of language but was trying to get across that is I had a thing of 50's, 60's, 70's spec I could still be served very well by the Squier catalogue yet they still can't but together a faithful recreation of a mustang.
[/quote]
Sorry mate, not marking you down for repetition, it's just that a lot of these models only 'sort of' hit the mark. On the plus side, their cheapness makes them ideal for a modificaton or refin; on the minus side, if the neck doesn't make the grade in the first place, no amount of teaking will fix this.

To be fair, neither the Squier CV range nor the Fender Pawn Shop range are intended to be fathful recreations of vintage instruments, you generally have to pay quite a bit more for that privilege.