Why become a member? ×

Amp Settings for Ashdown

robster

er ok depends what kind of sound you are after. i like a bright(ish) sound so i have gain on about 3/4 bright switch in, deep in, eq in.
bass at about half 12, mid bass at about half 2, mid at about 12, high mid about 3-4 o'clock treble on about 1 o'clock. sub on at about 1 o'clock. volume to my pleasure. i can then from that dial in a good range of sounds from the eq on my bass but then it is active so i can cut as well as boost. as yours is passive you may have to play from there as it depends what the 'natural' sound of your bass is, as in deep or bright or midi etc.

hope that helps

Good question. I think that Ashy's have a rep for sounding woolly which is probably true if you haven't put the time in finding the sound you're after. It took me months of tweaking my ABM evo 500 before I found my settings and when I did I found it works pretty much for different basses too.

[url="http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/ou7shined/bass/30062008281.jpg"]Here's mine[/url] (ABM)
jungle tip : if you share your amp on stage from time to time and find your settings get mucked about with, mark your settings using your g/f's (or your own) eyeliner - don't let her find out, they go ballistic for some reason. These marks can be easily wiped off and replaced as your settings evolve or permanently when it comes to sell. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='229689' date='Jun 30 2008, 01:33 PM']Good question. I think that Ashy's have a rep for sounding woolly which is probably true if you haven't put the time in finding the sound you're after. It took me months of tweaking my ABM evo 500 before I found my settings and when I did I found it works pretty much for different basses too.[/quote]

Hmmm, that doesnt look like a MAG to me ;-)

I think its the ABM's that have the Wooly rep (and im one of those spreading it)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='229707' date='Jun 30 2008, 01:59 PM']Hmmm, that doesnt look like a MAG to me ;-)[/quote]
Not much gets past you Dave. But did you miss that I mentioned it is an ABM.... twice. :)
I just put my settings up as a starting point so he could have a bash at them to see if there any good for him on the off chance. I dial in these setting or similar to a MAG C115 300 EVO II at our practice rooms and find it fairly acceptable. :huh:

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='229707' date='Jun 30 2008, 01:59 PM']I think its the ABM's that have the Wooly rep (and im one of those spreading it)[/quote]
I'd pick ABM over MAG any day. :)
That said, I'm ditching Ashdown (and not necessarily because of it's sound) in favour of Markbass now so it's moot.

Edited by Ou7shined

Doh, didnt see you mention it was a ABM ;-)

Actually i used to gig with a MAG300 C-115 and i still have it so i guess i should post my settings.
Bass boost on
Low about 1 o'clock, mid flat and high on about 1 o'clock as well although it depended on the room.
I also used to use a Aphex Bassxciter and a compressor and it sounded great.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='229749' date='Jun 30 2008, 02:47 PM']The only problem i have with this amp is trying to get the gain and volume balanced right so that it doesn't keep clipping into the red on the VU and making that disgusting distortion sound... :)[/quote]

hmmm, you need to first make sure you are pluggin into the correct input, high for passive and low for active.

set your volume low and then set you volume on you bass to where you want it, then bring up the gain till you 'hear' it start to clip, the VU 'should' show you but i really depends what note you play to how it reacts. use your ears. then when you here it start to clip back it off a bit and you should be set there. then bring up you volume. also worth baring in mind is that as soon as you start to boost the eq on the amp it will effect the gain, more boost will mean you may have to back off the gain some more to stop clipping. the volume is just the final output level. the input level controls what is going through the amp (and VU meter) and therefore how quickly it will hit its ceiling.

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='229689' date='Jun 30 2008, 01:33 PM']Good question. I think that Ashy's have a rep for sounding woolly which is probably true if you haven't put the time in finding the sound you're after. It took me months of tweaking my ABM evo 500 before I found my settings and when I did I found it works pretty much for different basses too.

[url="http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/ou7shined/bass/30062008281.jpg"]Here's mine[/url] (ABM)
jungle tip : if you share your amp on stage from time to time and find your settings get mucked about with, mark your settings using your g/f's (or your own) eyeliner - don't let her find out, they go ballistic for some reason. These marks can be easily wiped off and replaced as your settings evolve or permanently when it comes to sell. :)[/quote]

I used one of these (ABM) at a band rehearsal on Friday (I always use studio amps, since I don't have a car) and had real trouble getting a desirable sound, despite lots of fiddling around. The drive gave a nice bite to it, but the sound was, as you describe, kind of woolly. I prefer a tighter sound and wasn't able to get that - maybe it's a compression thing?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='229689' date='Jun 30 2008, 01:33 PM'][url="http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/ou7shined/bass/30062008281.jpg"]Here's mine[/url] (ABM)
jungle tip : if you share your amp on stage from time to time and find your settings get mucked about with, mark your settings using your g/f's (or your own) eyeliner - don't let her find out, they go ballistic for some reason. These marks can be easily wiped off and replaced as your settings evolve or permanently when it comes to sell. :)[/quote]

sorry to overtake your thread, but im just curious at to [b]what setting you have your ashdown ABM 500 on Ou7shined?[/b]

I have an ashdown 500, and am still messing with the EQ. Its a funny EQ on the ashdown 500, with the mix of sliders and knobs.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='229783' date='Jun 30 2008, 03:28 PM']I used one of these (ABM) at a band rehearsal on Friday (I always use studio amps, since I don't have a car) and had real trouble getting a desirable sound, despite lots of fiddling around. The drive gave a nice bite to it, but the sound was, as you describe, kind of woolly. I prefer a tighter sound and wasn't able to get that - maybe it's a compression thing?[/quote]
Going through the same ABM 410T Cab at those settings my ABM is darn close to my LMII (EQ's at 12 o'clock & VPF up high) although admittedly it has a more transistory dryness to it. My mud dried up a long time ago so to speak. :)

[quote name='mrhectic' post='229792' date='Jun 30 2008, 03:48 PM']sorry to overtake your thread, but im just curious at to [b]what setting you have your ashdown ABM 500 on Ou7shined?[/b]

I have an ashdown 500, and am still messing with the EQ. Its a funny EQ on the ashdown 500, with the mix of sliders and knobs.[/quote]
Just click on the [url="http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/ou7shined/bass/30062008281.jpg"]link[/url] mate. It was hard to get to grips with for me too. I just kept plugging away for months with no real plan until I hit my sweet spot. Of course it changed for every venue but I keep it here for my own piece of mind.

I'm no longer a fan of my ABM-300 EVO II's sound, so I stick a Sansamp BDDI and EQ pedal before it. Totally changes the tone to something I'm actually satisfied with. Just something to maybe consider, if tweaking your Ashdown doesn't work out for you.

Ideally I'd like a Mesa/Boogie 400+ or a decent Ampeg SVT but I'm kinda skint :/