Why become a member? ×

MusicMan Volume drop on G-string.... Fixes?

SlapbassSteve

Took delivery of a Sterling by MusicMan SB14 today, and got to gig it for the first time tonight. Sounded fine through a practice amp but the moment I took it up to gigging volume through our PA the G just dropped right out, all you can hear when it's being played is a high-pitched clank with no fundimental... All other strings work fine and sound nice and bassy. Is this to do with how I set up the bass (pickup height too high or maybe action too low?) or is it just an inherent problem with MusicMan basses? The Wikipedia page on stingray basses mentions that this can happen and it's down to the player... Hmm. Perhaps I'm playing too aggressively? Any help would be appreciated, I love the sound of the three strings I was able to use tonight!

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1387672507' post='2314506']
The Wikipedia page on stingray basses mentions that this can happen and it's down to the player... Hmm.
[/quote]

Down to the player.. but only on MM Stingray? I agree with your reaction of hmm!
I'd say there something amiss with your pickups / setup. Assuming its not choking and acousticslly you're getting a nice note. then maybe the pickup needs adjusting? Or dare I say checking for electrical fault...

Having been a 'ray owner for some years, I used to think all this weak g stuff was just some sort of bad mouthing of 'rays as mine was even across the board. Then one day I plugged into a headphone amp and lo and behold the g was lacking. Plugged back into my amp and everything was hunkydory again. I concluded that it must be a frequency/eq thing.

There have been a few threads on this if you search. I had the same problem. Fixed it by pushing in the pickup manget poles so they were flush with the pickup as they protrude slightly as standard. This enabled the adjustment under the G string to be raised and balanced with the E string. Might sound odd but it works great.