Why become a member? ×

Victor Wooten, Cant Hide Love.

bubinga5

from the Soul Circus album. i adore his playing on this Earth Wind and Fire classic. i dont much care for the rest of the album, but this is just fantastic. !

dont know what effect hes playing through, some sort of envelope filter?, sorry im not much of an effects man. astonishing playing anyways.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCqpBsIwpfg[/media]

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

well it is an Earth Wind and Fire song from 1975. maybe thats got something to do with it,? interesting to hear your thoughts. i was more interested in his playing around the chord changes. sounds beautiful. well it sounds good to me. :D

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1387039592' post='2307700']
well it is an Earth Wind and Fire song from 1975. maybe thats got something to do with it,?
[/quote]
This Skip Scarborough penned song was originally recorded by Creative Source in 1973. EW&F recorded it a couple of years later.

I said it was nice. No doubt Victor is a great player. But I think the bigger point is valid. Musicians tend to fall into an indulgent rut -- not necessarily by playing too much, but by playing in a comfortable style. Bass players especially like to play funk -- which is great. So do I. I'm good at it! But if you have the opportunity to reach a lot of people, doing music that is 30 years out of style is probably not the best way to expand your following, PLUS, as good as it is, it does come off a bit tired.

That's all I meant. For what it's worth.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1387039592' post='2307700']
well it is an Earth Wind and Fire song from 1975. maybe thats got something to do with it,? interesting to hear your thoughts. i was more interested in his playing around the chord changes. sounds beautiful. well it sounds good to me. :D
[/quote]

Actually, the changes are essentially 1/4/2/5 . So if you if just stay in Fm pentatonic (which is what he does most of the time) it'll fit over all the chords. (There's C#m in the B section but that essentially an Fm7 so the pentatonic scale fits there as well.