Why become a member? ×

impending NBD: 5-strings in the house. Oh, the horror! :)

mcnach

I love the 55-02!!!

Except for the sound.
Oh, nothing, it's great... just... not a Stingray. Pity, as it is absolutely lovely to play... If only this were a 55-76. But where are they?
I could convert this one... remove neck pickup... route for the MM closer to the neck, get a pickguard made Stingray style... and a John East MMSR preamp...

ha, I can hear the shudders of a few people from here :P

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1388708389' post='2325278']
I had a 44-02, loved it... But agree on the sound, it doesn't get close to the Ray. If you want a Ray, get a Ray - but this is a good bass in its own right.

The neck made it for me. Lovely player.
[/quote]

if only it were that simple... No Stingrays made with wide string spacing, I'm afraid :( and the lakland 55-76 (single MM pickup at the Stingray position) is so rare!

The neck on the Lakland 55-02 is wonderful. I never tried the 4-string counterpart, 'though.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1388761747' post='2325742']
if only it were that simple... No Stingrays made with wide string spacing, I'm afraid :( and the lakland 55-76 (single MM pickup at the Stingray position) is so rare!

The neck on the Lakland 55-02 is wonderful. I never tried the 4-string counterpart, 'though.
[/quote]

I had never heard of that one until now - and here is one for sale... you wouldn't get much change out of two and a half grand after shipping and import duties though!

http://www.thebassplace.com/basses-used-basses-c-17_36/used-lakland-55-76-deluxe-flame-maple-5-string-bass-amber-p-1232

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1388914559' post='2327484']
I had never heard of that one until now - and here is one for sale... you wouldn't get much change out of two and a half grand after shipping and import duties though!

[url="http://www.thebassplace.com/basses-used-basses-c-17_36/used-lakland-55-76-deluxe-flame-maple-5-string-bass-amber-p-1232"]http://www.thebasspl...ss-amber-p-1232[/url]
[/quote]

lucky for me, I don't like that kind of wood/finish... ;) ouch, the USA Laklands are not cheap, eh?

• 2 months later...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1388707513' post='2325271']
I love the 55-02!!!

Except for the sound.
Oh, nothing, it's great... just... not a Stingray. Pity, as it is absolutely lovely to play... If only this were a 55-76. But where are they?
I could convert this one... remove neck pickup... route for the MM closer to the neck, get a pickguard made Stingray style... and a John East MMSR preamp...

ha, I can hear the shudders of a few people from here :P
[/quote]

well, it turned out that with new strings it finally made me smile :)

It's not a Stingray, but that's no longer an issue because it has a great sound of its own. All the politeness has gone with the old strings. :)