Why become a member? ×

Modal Jazz and its Roots

JuliusGroove

I have to do an essay for Uni about a pre 1970 track that has heavy influenced music of its own type and others. I'm thinking of doing Milestones by Miles Davis as the starting ground for Modal Jazz.. Would I be correct in saying it was the first Modal Jazz tune?

I've tried doing some research and can't find another track credited before Milestones as the first Modal Jazz track so I'm assuming it was.. Also any insight into the track/sessions/album or general history would be greatly appreciated. References optional ;)

Thanks!

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1386599967' post='2301973']
I have to do an essay for Uni about a pre 1970 track that has heavy influenced music of its own type and others. I'm thinking of doing Milestones by Miles Davis as the starting ground for Modal Jazz.. Would I be correct in saying it was the first Modal Jazz tune?

I've tried doing some research and can't find another track credited before Milestones as the first Modal Jazz track so I'm assuming it was.. Also any insight into the track/sessions/album or general history would be greatly appreciated. References optional ;)

Thanks!
[/quote]
It might be worth having a look at the 1950s work of George Russell for examples of Modal Jazz. Bill Evans was a member of his group before he played with Miles who gave Evans a lot of credit for what he brought to the band.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1386604639' post='2302041']
It might be worth having a look at the 1950s work of George Russell for examples of Modal Jazz. Bill Evans was a member of his group before he played with Miles who gave Evans a lot of credit for what he brought to the band.
[/quote]

Ah excellent.. I'm pretty sure I can use Milestones as an example of the roots even if it's not the first song that did use it. But I know I'll have a stronger piece if I can really break down where it came from.

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1386614504' post='2302221']
Ah excellent.. I'm pretty sure I can use Milestones as an example of the roots even if it's not the first song that did use it. But I know I'll have a stronger piece if I can really break down where it came from.
[/quote]
This may be of interest to you......

http://www.georgerussell.com/lc.html

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1386758055' post='2304026']
Ah my lecturer was discussing this book with us. It sounds like an amazing read but the cheapest I can find it is for £99.. Knowledge is valuable I guess..
[/quote]
Unfortunately all those sort of books are expensive. A library somewhere may well have it though. I saw George Russell with his band a few times in the 80s and 90s. I also went to listen to him talk about the Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organisation on stage before a gig once as well. Unfortunately i can't read a note of music and 90% of it went totally over my head but it was still an interesting experience!