Why become a member? ×

Amp quandries...

LukeFRC

So I've been playing around with my rig... and

So I used to have a Tecamp Puma 1000 and the matching M210 cab.... but there was a punchy mids going on in the cab which didn't suit my main bass massively. Ideally I would have a more full range cab.

I ended up picking up a Roland D-Bass 210 combo off here. I bit heavier (a lot actually) but sounds pretty good - the preamp isn't the best but the power amp stage has some clever DSP to let a small box kick out a reasonable about of both volume and low end.

I ended up trading my Puma 1000 with 2x18 on here for a Hellborg preamp - mainly as I wanted to try it as I had read stuff about it...
Hearing the puma 1000 through Will's BFM Omni 15 cab though was a revaluation - sound wise it was much more what I was going for. (To be honest it sounded great!)

So got the Hellborg preamp back home and it sounds amazing. I love it.

But Hellborg into the roland is a bit cumbersome. Most the time the Hellborg is going to get left at home - which is daft.

In an ideal world I would buy a Barefaced big baby 2 and a power amp to drive it. But money doesn't allow....

So should I just keep the cumbersome set up....

or try to sell the roland, use that money to buy something like a Peavey IPR 1600 and use the tecamp cab.... and maybe trade the cab for something I'ld like more, (probably a 1x12) at a later date..?

any thoughts on which way to go?

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1386489011' post='2300534']
For me I wouldn't have bothered chopping and changing gear for a sound that's in my head.

The thing you didn't like was something in the cab so you got rid of the amp?

Anyway, if the preamp and amp are working for you use that.
[/quote] yes.
stupid of me.

I've so far managed not to make that kind of daft mistake with basses - but with amps I seem too.