Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb nt 5 hardware replacement

StinkyBassFace

Hi all!

So I was changing my strings on my Warwick Thumb the other day when all of a sudden *shock horror* the nut fell apart!

Now i know this is a problem with some Warwick basses so I wasn't too worried or disturbed when this happened, I even managed to repair it and make the bass playable!

My biggest concern is this... do I replace the nut with the Tedur just a nut 3 system that's probably made with the same brittle, meaning I will probably end up replacing it again in the coming years or, do I fork out the cash and change to the just a nut 3 brass nut which will inevitably mean me changing my bridge to the brass set up also?! (the thought of not having a matching nut and bridge makes my bones itch..)

I guess what i really want to know is this.. is the brass setup really worth the cash? I've heard that there are slight tonal differences with the brass systems, really? or am i better off ordering 1 or 2 Tedur just a nut systems and just replacing them as i go?

Hope to hear what your opinions are soon!

I trust you currently have the Just-a-nut II system? Terrible nut design, not sure what Warwick were thinking there!

I have recently purchased a Just-a-nut III brass for my Warwick. Really looks the part and is solid. Is there a tone difference? No, not in my opinion. You would only hear it on open strings of course in any case, but I didn't notice anything. Find that strings do not slip out of the nut like they did with the Tedur version. And it looks much nicer. Hell of a price difference though, so if you are seeking tone and (in the most part) functionalily, I wouldn't bother.

I assume the current nut still functions? It's not game over if the tabs break, it should still work fine once string tension is applied. The new nuts are not held together at all without string tension :)

exact same thing happened to me i just got the brass jan 3 but paid through the nose for it (120 i think) as i bought it direct from warwick, i think if you look around you can get much cheaper alternatives that just are not official warwick parts, my bridge does not match it though and looks fine i think =P

[url="http://postimg.org/image/z832bcgib/"]http://postimg.org/image/z832bcgib/[/url]

a picture of mine with brass nut and standard bridge to give you an idea of what it looks like if it helps =P

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1386259055' post='2297857']
exact same thing happened to me i just got the brass jan 3 but paid through the nose for it (120 i think) as i bought it direct from warwick, i think if you look around you can get much cheaper alternatives that just are not official warwick parts, my bridge does not match it though and looks fine i think =P

[url="http://postimg.org/image/z832bcgib/"]http://postimg.org/image/z832bcgib/[/url]

a picture of mine with brass nut and standard bridge to give you an idea of what it looks like if it helps =P
[/quote]

Nice bassses!

I get the bit about the nut. Your JAN2 is broke and a bit rubbish- shall I get the brass or tedur replacement JAN3.....

But I don't get the bit about the bridge... presumably the current tedur JAN2 doesn't match the brass alloy bridge you've got now... so changing the nut to whatever you want it's still not going to be the same as the bridge.

If the option is between spending about 20 euros for a Tedur one - or 140 euros for a brass one, plus a new bridge..... I know what I would go for!