Why become a member? ×

Stack Pot Jazz Bass advice

EMG456

Anybody here use a stack pot Jazz?

I recently acquired a beat up old Aria Jazz Bass which needs a lot of tlc.

I'm going to recreate the vibe of an old '61 Precision that I used to own which had a '70s stylee stripped body. The finish stripping had already been done to the Aria so I don't feel at all bad about doing this!

Anyway, I would like the look of a stack pot control plate on the bass but it's a long time since I owned one of those so the question is...

If I run the stack pot controls with both tones wide open, will it sound and act exactly the same as a Vol, Vol, Tone Jazz? Are there any strange interactions between the tone pots - ie can you reliably roll the tone down on one pickup without affecting the other?

That's today's question - any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Ed

Hi Ed

I had a Kiogon made stack pot plate for an old Antoria J bass I refurbed. I didn't notice any interaction between the tone pots, but I couldn't say whether fully opened it sounded the same as a single tone pot as it was knackered on the original bass. Can't see why it would make a massive difference.

For the record I had different cap values for the bridge and neck pickup circuits. Liked it a lot as a passive set up.