Why become a member? ×

Warwick Red Label 5-string Sets

BigRedX

I broke a string on my Warwick Star Bass 5-string during rehearsal this week so I order some new sets for it.

According to the tag on the bass when I got it, it was strung with Warwick Red Label strings and since I thought it sounded pretty good I went ahead and ordered some more sets of the same - 5-string sets 40-130.

However when the new sets arrived today imagine my surprise at the fact that the new B-string instead of being taper wound as originally supplied on the bass was the full thickness all the way to the ball end. Luckily this version just fitted into the Warwick tail-piece, but if I had gone for the heavier 45-135 gauge, I'd most likely have been struggling.

Looking at the string packets it appears that there is a taper wound version available, but I can't find any string sets with it in on the Warwick site or any of the main on-line string retailers, nor can I find anyone who selling the strings individually.

So what gives? It's a well-known fact that Warwick basses have problems with the heavier gauge strings fitting in their standard tailpiece, and although they appear to make a suitable taper wound string (and indeed fit them to their basses when new) it appears impossible to buy them either as part of a set or individually.

Confused...