Why become a member? ×

new bass fuzz i built

umph

I am not a big fan of distortion/overdrive on bass but it sounds very good. I think it would be interesting to hear more samples with different levels of distortion.

I would also be interested to know about the controls of the pedals and if it is suitable for active basses. If you could also post some technical detail (e.g. input impedance) it would be great.

[i]The following has probably nothing to do with you Umph. Sorry to high jacking your thread but it sounded a good opportunity.[/i]
--

On a general note, when we post about DIY pedals, I think it would be better if we say why we post and why we need and opinion. Last but not least because we avoid asking the same questions every time :)

Don't get me wrong I thing it is great that exchange ideas and comments. I speak for myself here but when I build something I try it, I record it and eventually or I am happy with it or I am not.

If I ask someone else opinion is because I need help for a future choice. For example, if I'm undecided if I want to start a small production and I ask other people's help I always say it. Nothing wrong in potentially making money with my work but if I ask someone else to help me (for free) in making money I tell him first. There is no legal requirement of course but this is how I like doing things.

Moreover, if the pedals is not a [i]totally new[/i] design, I think it is better say clearly were the inspiration comes from. It is not legally necessary but it is an unwritten rule of the DIY community and it is something that I would recommend.

ahh thanks atm it only has a volume / blend / tone / fat switch i didn't have any spare 1k pots so no gain knobs the circuit is basically based on a tonebender mkII as i wanted to start off with a good high gain pedal, but theres quite a few modifications i've done to the pedal as in adding a blend circuit and a tone circuit and rebiasing it for the transistors i used etc. thanks for the input though!

edit: the clip is on an active bass and the only problem it has is the clean blend doesn't like low output passive basses

Edited by umph

[quote name='umph' post='227886' date='Jun 27 2008, 11:19 AM']ahh thanks atm it only has a volume / blend / tone / fat switch i didn't have any spare 1k pots so no gain knobs the circuit is basically based on a tonebender mkII as i wanted to start off with a good high gain pedal, but theres quite a few modifications i've done to the pedal as in adding a blend circuit and a tone circuit and rebiasing it for the transistors i used etc. thanks for the input though!

edit: the clip is on an active bass and the only problem it has is the clean blend doesn't like low output passive basses[/quote]

Very interesting Umph - thanks for the extra-info.

You may already know it but I found [url="http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/mkII.php"]this web site[/url] with some Tonebender variations that I found interesting.

I have a 1970s Tonebender and yours sounds very close. I think mine lets a bit more bass tone through but the fuzz element is really close, to my ears.

Here's mine:

Edited by Kirky

[quote name='Toasted' post='228926' date='Jun 29 2008, 11:18 AM']Are you using your own PCB or someone elses? :)[/quote]
just perfboard i've made a few changes to the original design. Not really attempted doing my own pcbs yet may have an attempt in the near future at applying this to pcb though as it would save alot of space. Thats good to hear that it sounds like a proper tonebender though!

Edited by umph

[quote name='umph' post='227695' date='Jun 26 2008, 11:46 PM']clips on [url="http://www.myspace.com/eyepedals"]http://www.myspace.com/eyepedals[/url]

can i has some opinions please ;o[/quote]

just noticed you have solus locus on your top friends there, ive just put a record out for them, ace lads!!!