Why become a member? ×

Bartolini Pickups..

JuliusGroove

cclowend: The quickest/simplest fix for you is first add a ground wire from the back of the tone pot to the jack socket earth tag. All other earths can be left intact as far as I can tell (it sounds like you have metal plates under the Barts which are connected to ground and the pickups are grounded to the plates - that shouldn't be a problem but I think I mentioned in your other post on the Barts problem that grounding plates can affect tone with some pickups as they can modify the shape of the magnetic field produced). Add the 'missing' ground wire first and see how that affects tone. Change one thing at a time - it helps diagnose problems better.

Well at least you've tried and I think it was worth doing (and why would the jack socket have a ground tag on it if it could do without a connection made to it) and it's certainly no worse than before... BTW did you check with Bartolini customer support to check that the 250K pots are right for the pickups? I guess they ought to be as I'd expect the Barts to be drop-in replacements for stock pickups.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1401837348' post='2467472']
Well at least you've tried and I think it was worth doing (and why would the jack socket have a ground tag on it if it could do without a connection made to it) and it's certainly no worse than before... BTW did you check with Bartolini customer support to check that the 250K pots are right for the pickups? I guess they ought to be as I'd expect the Barts to be drop-in replacements for stock pickups.
[/quote]

It's pretty common for there to be no earth wire from the jack socket. The metal plate takes care of it. Personally, I connect all three earth connections directly to the jack socket - mainly due to the fact that I am rubbish at soldering to the back of pots, but also because star grounding should reduce noise. Apparently.....
The pots used should have little effect on tone when fully open, though will cut some treble when rolled back. I suggested on the other thread to try wiring a pickup directly to the jack socket - to rule out all other wiring.