Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb NT 89 popping noise ??

dmccombe7

I'm getting an occasional pop sound from my Warwick. Its there on active or passive mode.
Its not a regular pop but only very occasional and gives a fair pop thru amp and cab enough so that I occasionally get startled when practising at home.
It sounds very much like a quick drop in power like someone switching it off and straight back on again.
I've cleaned the pots and jack socket using electronic cleaner.
I've checked wiring and all seems pretty solid with nothing obviously loose.

It doesn't happen with any other bass.
It does same though another amp and cab.
That narrows it down to the bass itself.
It's a NT Thumb with EMG's that I've had since new in 1989.

Any ideas ???

If need be is there anyone local (reputable)to Glasgow or within circa 100 miles that might be able to repair using original parts to keep bass as near original as possible.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

mmm, it could be the connections in the jack are loose/worn. I've got two wicks and one of them does this, a crackle/pop type sound when I wiggle the jack lead a certain way. Saying all that the other one was doing this, changed the battery and it stopped I think, always try that one hey B)

I've tried wiggling jack plug and cables but absolutely nothing. I've changed the battery too and its ok.
I've also cleaned the jack socket.
Having read various forums it might be something to do with the battery connection.
It does sound very like power off/on very quickly.
Further testing is required before taking to a repair shop.
I just have doubts about how good a job these shops will do and whether they will use genuine parts.
I want to keep it true to its original spec.

Dave

That would be similar to what I'm hearing. Few seconds after jack is in it gives a pop, but thereafter it appears every 5mins or so, sometimes it will be every 10-20 secs and then nothing for 5mins.
Completely random.
Other times it will go for 10-15mins before re-appearing.
Weirdest fault I've come across on a bass.

Dave

I had faults with both my Warwick Thumbs earlier this year and Chris McIntyre at McIntyre Guitars in Edinburgh sorted them out. He's not a fan of dealing with Warwick anymore due to their iffy attitude but is an excellent bass tech and may be able to source your fault and fix it. [url="http://www.mcintyreguitars.com"]www.mcintyreguitars.com[/url]

Cheers.

Simon

[quote name='bassplayer50000' timestamp='1385734969' post='2291664']
I had faults with both my Warwick Thumbs earlier this year and Chris McIntyre at McIntyre Guitars in Edinburgh sorted them out. He's not a fan of dealing with Warwick anymore due to their iffy attitude but is an excellent bass tech and may be able to source your fault and fix it. [url="http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/"]www.mcintyreguitars.com[/url]

Cheers.

Simon
[/quote]

Thanks Simon,
Did he say what was wrong with yours. ? Could point me in a direction if you had same / similar issues.

Good site and looks promising
cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like its sorted. Changed the jack skt to a Maplins neutrik type and its been perfect all day. I did think that one of the original soldered tabs seemed to easy to desolder and may have been a simple dry joint. original socket tested ok when removed.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Took your advice Simon and took bass into Chris yesterday. Seems to know his stuff. I was very impressed even just talking with him for half hour. He has a vast wealth of knowledge and experience. He seems confident he can get to bottom of the returning pop noise on my Warwick.
Thank for the heads up on McIntyre guitars
Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Fault traced to pre-amp which is no longer manufactured. Currently being replaced with Warwick equivelant MEC unit and some new pots just to give it a birthday after 25yrs.
Chris @ McIntyre guitars in Edinburgh highly recommended so far.
Will update when job totally complete.

Dave