Why become a member? ×

Question about DSP and self build cabs....

LukeFRC

Now as I understand it DSP can be used to programme your signal so that you can get the most out of your cab - multi band eq and compression so that, for instance controlling the bottom end of the signal, flattening out any Eq spikes and so on.
That's how I understand it anyway.

I know Funkle said he liked the way his Berg iP cab had a big fat bottom without farting out.
So clever technology - just wondering if you had the knowledge and know how would it possible to programme this as a preamp to do the same thing.... ? http://line6.com/tcddk/

Even with a simple passive High Pass Filter, speakers can be protected from over-excursion (farting out) and help them soound 'tighter'.

DSP can help take the concept further by having the facilities to change how steep the slope of the cutoff (usually measured in dB per Octave with 12,18 and 24 dB/Oct being common) filter acts. Secondly, the ability to change the frequency at which the filter starts (-3dB) can be advantageous as different cabs / driver combinations will have higher or lower requirements to protect the speaker.

Other things mentioned such as EQ and compression curves can help most speakers sound tighter or play louder.

With Horn loaded cabs a HPF, EQ and Compression are all essential to keep the speaker working within it's optimum range usually dictated by it's maximum linear displacement or Xmax.

Hope that helps..