Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flats strung through body?

JapanAxe

I know this has been aired before, because I recall reading the thread, but the search terms bring up zillions of unrelated hits!

I am once again GASing for a Pawn Shop Mustang, but I favour flats and the Mustang's bridge is through-body only. I have read in various posts that: (1) this is bad news for flats and causes the windings to separate if the break angle is too large; (2) some people do this anyway and don't have a problem; (3) there are some brands of flats that don't seem to mind or at least are less susceptible to such problems; and (4) some string manufacturers make through-body flats to order.

The truth is out there, and it's most likely to be found here on Basschat ;)

Flats on the Mustang aren`t a problem, just make sure you buy medium scale ones due to the string through bridge as short scale`s dont fit. Stringbusters have a decent selection. Telebass had TI flats on his and he was happy with them.

Personally, I have put GHS Boomers rounds on mine as the last thing a PSM needs is more thud. Just my opinion of course. :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1384029945' post='2272183']
Personally, I have put GHS Boomers rounds on mine as the last thing a PSM needs is more thud. Just my opinion of course. :)
[/quote]

Good point. Tried one today in Wunjo's bass shop and tbh the rounds weren't really a problem, whereas on the Eastwood EUB-clone I tried straight afterwards, they most definitely were. Guess I'll acquire first and then think about tweaks later. Mrs Axe made encouraging mention of the imminent Yuletide festivities, although her preference is for red with white stripes, mine is for white with (or preferably without!) blue stripes.