Why become a member? ×

Useful Ebay Tool :)

This is not a serious post, but the tool described does exist.

As I seem to be flicking over to ebay too frequently, I wrote a quick hack program that reads the newly listed basses and speaks out the title. It was done quickly, but I find it quite useful and amusing. My computer has just read out '1976 RICKENBACKER 4001 - OLYMPIC WHITE - INCLUDES THE ORIGINAL CASE'. I know it's been listed, but it's not the kind of thing I was looking for. However, when a recently listed Bass Collection 320 fretless was listed, I immediately went and had a look. It's already saving me ebay checking time, which had turned into a bad habit for me. Next I wish to have multiple searched being checked at once, and also include gumtree.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1383902512' post='2270491']
This is not a serious post, but the tool described does exist.

As I seem to be flicking over to ebay too frequently, I wrote a quick hack program that reads the newly listed basses and speaks out the title. It was done quickly, but I find it quite useful and amusing. My computer has just read out '1976 RICKENBACKER 4001 - OLYMPIC WHITE - INCLUDES THE ORIGINAL CASE'. I know it's been listed, but it's not the kind of thing I was looking for. However, when a recently listed Bass Collection 320 fretless was listed, I immediately went and had a look. It's already saving me ebay checking time, which had turned into a bad habit for me. Next I wish to have multiple searched being checked at once, and also include gumtree.
[/quote]

My missus uses an app called 'shopstyle' which alerts her to any sale items from a number of clothing shops as soon as they are discounted.

Maybe you could create a similar style app that finds bass related items on all auctioning/second hand sites in one place? I'd buy it!

I'm not using the RSS feed. I'm actually just reading the ebay page from a typical search URL, extracting links for items, fetching the listings, and then extracting the title from the listing. (The second step is done that way as in the future I might extract other information). Using the RSS feed would probably have been an easier way to do it.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1383904542' post='2270539']
My missus uses an app called 'shopstyle' which alerts her to any sale items from a number of clothing shops as soon as they are discounted.

Maybe you could create a similar style app that finds bass related items on all auctioning/second hand sites in one place? I'd buy it!
[/quote]

I think I could, but there are many things I could do and only a limited amount of time. I've said that if I lost my current job and ended up a middle aged person on the job market, I'd go for apps, and developing a commercial version of this would be one such possibility.

Edit: I know that there is some sort of Orange Terror amp up on ebay at the moment, and if my short term memory is working, a Warwick Corvette Bubinga. The only one I've been tempted to look at so far is the Avon Rose Morris bass.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1383907660' post='2270586']
I'm not using the RSS feed. I'm actually just reading the ebay page from a typical search URL, extracting links for items, fetching the listings, and then extracting the title from the listing. (The second step is done that way as in the future I might extract other information). Using the RSS feed would probably have been an easier way to do it.
[/quote]

That's probably more flexible as the rss feed only has a little bit of info in it - I've just recently been experimenting with just grabbing the rss feeds (you just append '&_rss=1' to the end of the search URL) and looking at them together in an rss reader.