Why become a member? ×

Shuker Workshop Update!

Mike

I forget exactly where he said he was going except it was near Brough.
He's got to wait until the people who are in the new place move out, also the lease is up on his present unit so he reckons it's now or never.

Don't know when all this is going to happen, in fact neither does he. He did say it was only a 20 minute drive from where he is now (or was that 20 miles?)

[quote name='Tinman' post='27740' date='Jul 6 2007, 08:12 AM']I forget exactly where he said he was going except it was near Brough.[/quote]
Brough, that's in the middle of nowhere! A quick google threw this up though ....
[url="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Brough,+Derbyshire&ie=UTF8&ll=53.339483,-1.725883&spn=0.578059,1.170044&z=10&om=1"]http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=e...p;z=10&om=1[/url]

@Tinman - I love your sig. It made me chuckle. So far my Shuker has taken around 6 1/2 months. Thankfully I'm not given to biting my fingernails. :)

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='27749' date='Jul 6 2007, 08:28 AM']@Tinman - I love your sig. It made me chuckle. So far my Shuker has taken around 6 1/2 months. Thankfully I'm not given to biting my fingernails. :)[/quote]

Haha yeah. I'm not holding my breath on the 14 weeks thing but as you can see from my build thread, there's been some progress so I'm happy.

20 minutes drive means nothing to me - I do everything on foot/bus :)

Jon said to me typical turnaround is about 10/12 weeks once he's started a bass, but I reckon mine'll probably be a fair bit longer once he starts it. I can cope though :huh: You can't miss what you've never had :huh:

[quote name='Finbar' post='27866' date='Jul 6 2007, 12:20 PM']Jon said to me typical turnaround is about 10/12 weeks once he's started a bass, but I reckon mine'll probably be a fair bit longer once he starts it. I can cope though :huh: You can't miss what you've never had :huh:[/quote]

I think you may want to talk to johngh and OldGit on that score :) but like you say you don't miss it.

[quote name='Tinman' post='27870' date='Jul 6 2007, 12:26 PM']I think you may want to talk to johngh and OldGit on that score :) but like you say you don't miss it.[/quote]

Actually there's a whole special feeling around the build process and antici................................................pation.

It's rather like foreplay :huh:

Rather like new babies the worst bit is the 2nd week after it's delivered, once all the ooooh and aaaah at the pictures has died down and you have it and it's fab but there's a lot less chat about finished basses than just about to be finished ones so it's a tad like a post gig adrenaline downer .. or it was for me.. I wasn't disappointed but I was very much aware that this was a new and different phase ...

So make sure you have a bass bash ot gig or something to take it to about 2 weeks after delivery so other players players can say "oooooooh and aaaaah "again :huh:

LEDs are good for getting civilians to say oooh aaaah as Mark King knows all too well ... :huh:

Edited by OldGit

Well before I had any idea how long it would take, I was guessing on something like 5 months or so? So anything around that wouldn't bug me too much. Spreading payments out over more time also eases my wallet pains :huh:

I would like to see him make some kind of start though :) But as he's busy, and I haven't given him a penny yet, I'm not too concerned. He's just supposed to be sourcing out a bass to draw round at the moment.

From what I can tell, it seems to be waiting for third parties that slows the build time down, like pickup manufacturers.

LEDs are probably going on the list of things to slap on the bass, but probably side ones. Don't want to be TOO flashy :huh:

[quote name='Finbar' post='27979' date='Jul 6 2007, 04:41 PM']Well before I had any idea how long it would take, I was guessing on something like 5 months or so? So anything around that wouldn't bug me too much. Spreading payments out over more time also eases my wallet pains :huh:

I would like to see him make some kind of start though :) But as he's busy, and I haven't given him a penny yet, I'm not too concerned. He's just supposed to be sourcing out a bass to draw round at the moment.

From what I can tell, it seems to be waiting for third parties that slows the build time down, like pickup manufacturers.

LEDs are probably going on the list of things to slap on the bass, but probably side ones. Don't want to be TOO flashy :huh:[/quote]

Yeah as Rich said the other day they are like lekkie windows and air con in your car..
before you get them you think they are just nice extras, once you get them there's no way you're going back...
Side led's make a huge difference to how nice it is to play now.. .

+1 on front ones being too flash ...

Well actually, I think Limp Bizkit's bass player, Sam Rivers, always looks good with his front LEDs, but he's the only really good example I can think of :huh:

They'd get lost on a 7 string neck though I think.

Only question is what colour? :huh:

Think I might drop Jon an email, see how things are going :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='27979' date='Jul 6 2007, 04:41 PM']...From what I can tell, it seems to be waiting for third parties that slows the build time down, like pickup manufacturers....[/quote]
That is certainly part of the reason my bass has taken so long to build. The LEDs took a long long time to fit apparently.

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='28152' date='Jul 6 2007, 11:30 PM']That is certainly part of the reason my bass has taken so long to build. The LEDs took a long long time to fit apparently.[/quote]

My pickup was custom made and was the first one they had done in a 3/2 Pbass config so it took a loooooong time as they had to design it and prototype it a few times before the final thing was perfected ..
Tricky little blighter..
Of course, had I liked thr symetrical no pole EMG Pbass 5 string pickup, or the weird ones where the cases are the same size but one has 6 pole pieces and the other has 4 and a blank space, I'd have saved 2 or 3 months on the build time.
I'm glad I didn't though

[quote name='Finbar' post='28026' date='Jul 6 2007, 06:04 PM']They'd get lost on a 7 string neck though I think.[/quote]

Hi!

But it'd be a shame not to try it ;o) Actually, as it happens Jon and I were going to put LEDs on Doodle, but my bass neck has so many carbon inserts in it, that there wasn't any room left for Mr Simms to drill out the neck! So we had to forget about that.

"Doodle 2" the working title, may well be a different story! lol

[quote name='dood' post='28339' date='Jul 7 2007, 04:28 PM']Hi!

But it'd be a shame not to try it ;o) Actually, as it happens Jon and I were going to put LEDs on Doodle, but my bass neck has so many carbon inserts in it, that there wasn't any room left for Mr Simms to drill out the neck! So we had to forget about that.

"Doodle 2" the working title, may well be a different story! lol[/quote]

Drill? Surely he uses trained termites?