Why become a member? ×

Jim Fleeting Fretless 6 string

ARGH

Jims latest custom job for a client

6 String fretless,Bookmatched Buckeye Burl top with matching headstock (again bookmatched) and pickup covers (P/U's made in house) Walnut body,Wenge/Sycamore neck.

Note:- The tail piece,its Buckeye again,sandwiched between 2 pieces of Wenge.

Edited by ARGH

Its next after the Acoustic that Jim has to finish,so say its gonna be another 2 months,maybe less? 6 weeks?,getting parts has been a beef,sourceing strings for the scale length was a nightmare affair (35") but we think we have the problem sussed thanks to Conklin. Its just problem solving and time.

Heres a taster,this is three octaves of Purpleheart, that took about 8 weeks to arrive from the USA (slots cut) its unshaped,but the 36th fret is correct.

The splinter beside the slab is a cut,but unfretted,Lespaul fingerboard in rosewood,just to appreciate the size of what we are building here. :)

That is petty huge!

Does Jim have a p'up winding machine yet or is he making a jig to do it by hand?

I guess you're tuning F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F-Bb so that'd be .160-.130-.100-.80-.60-.40-.20-.10 ? Overwater do the 7 strings .130-.20, and can get the extra low and high IIRC, and i think they're sourced from the UK, as you'd previously metioned you wanted it to be mostly UK sourced.

He has a windy thingy with a counter. All I know is that mine is going to be coil tapped,and 3bnd 18v eq'd,switches,dongles and gubbins that go boom and attack the elderly and infirm at 40 feet as well as children from rough housing estates. We might have to go through a few prototypes to get exactly what I and we are looking for tonally,but being as its wonderously 'grey' 'no rules' area stuff for all concerned,half the fun is trying stuff out,and seeing whats best,considering the the amount of "NO you shouldnt do that,it cant be done" Im hardly in a rush.

I think the strings are a smidge heavier than that .165 .135 etc etc,I dont really want to think to heavily about it,as thats Jims job. Any more excitment and I would have to retire to San Moritz.

Edited by ARGH

Hey Man!

I really like the body shape! Thats a stunning bass! Not too keen on the headstock tho! Guess each to their own?

I'm seriously impressed with the size of that Board for the 9 string bass! Woo! Couldn't play that thing I don't think? I'll just stick to 5 or 6, or maybe 8 or 10 (although that'd be octaved!)?

Cheers
Big G!

Hey,

I guess I just like the strings to go straight on to the Tuners, rather than hitting acute angles. I've always thought that the tuning and intonation seems more stable when its a straight path inline from the bridge to the tuners?

But to answer your question, I'd like a n all Maple thru neck 10 string (Octaved 5 string)! Wish I could afford one! Oh well, maybe in a few years if Mr Shuker doesn't get my money first?

Still, I'm sure you are more than happy with that beaut? I could live with the string angles with a bass that good looking!

Cheers
Big G!