Why become a member? ×

Am I Mad?

MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1383242078' post='2262081']
I have tried to many times. I can never find local people who want to start a band. I even took the stance of "genre preference doesn't matter" for a while, and that still didn't get any results. Oh well :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I am surprised by that, Milty.

Are you in a very rural area? My sister lives in a little village in Northern Ireland and says it is [u][i]very [/i][/u]quiet there . She says all the young people move to Belfast or the mainland as soon as they can . I can imagine it would be hard to get anything going somewhere like that.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383243782' post='2262106']
I am surprised by that, Milty.

Are you in a very rural area? My sister lives in a little village in Northern Ireland and says it is [u][i]very [/i][/u]quiet there . She says all the young people move to Belfast or the mainland as soon as they can . I can imagine it would be hard to get anything going somewhere like that.
[/quote]

Where does your sister live? Yup, I'm in a very rural area. Remarkably, nearly exactly 8 miles from all of the nearest towns. I wouldn't mind travelling to any of those towns for band practice (I did that before in my old band anyway), but there just doesn't seem to be the people for it. In fact, what might be the problem is that a lot of local musicians just don't post ads or anything like that, so unless you know them personally (or through a friend) it's difficult. I know of local musicians but besides Facebook, have never seen them post an ad on Gumtree or the local music forum.

Edit - If you put my location into Google Maps, you'll see the area I live in.

Edited by MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1383245669' post='2262142']
Where does your sister live? Yup, I'm in a very rural area. Remarkably, nearly exactly 8 miles from all of the nearest towns. I wouldn't mind travelling to any of those towns for band practice (I did that before in my old band anyway), but there just doesn't seem to be the people for it. In fact, what might be the problem is that a lot of local musicians just don't post ads or anything like that, so unless you know them personally (or through a friend) it's difficult. I know of local musicians but besides Facebook, have never seen them post an ad on Gumtree or the local music forum.

Edit - If you put my location into Google Maps, you'll see the area I live in.
[/quote]

My sister lives just outside of Antrim in the middle of nowhere . Beautiful countryside and superb farmland , but quiet . Apparently , even at the height of the troubles nothing happened there .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383254515' post='2262328']
My sister lives just outside of Antrim in the middle of nowhere . Beautiful countryside and superb farmland , but quiet . Apparently , even at the height of the troubles nothing happened there .
[/quote]

Sounds like where I live :lol: I heard a firework a while ago and thought the car that had driven past had broken down. Who buys one firework for halloween? :huh:

Milty,you are not mad.You just wish to live your life by your own rules.
Why should'nt cats have underpants?Yes,you can wear a bison mask when you buy a newspaper.
It's your nose,and you can fill it with ricotta if you wish.
If polite society can overlook these little foibles,then there IS a band a for you!
Seriously,all the best for your quest.

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1383255226' post='2262341']
Milty,you are not mad.You just wish to live your life by your own rules.
Why should'nt cats have underpants?Yes,you can wear a bison mask when you buy a newspaper.
It's your nose,and you can fill it with ricotta if you wish.
If polite society can overlook these little foibles,then there IS a band a for you!
Seriously,all the best for your quest.
[/quote]

Who told you about the ricotta? :huh:

Bad show on the band, man.
I have lived in a rural town now for 12 years. Deadsville, plenty of rednecks listenin' to cheesy dance on commercial radio though.
The old postcard up in the music shop/ record shop used to work in the 80s in Belfast. God, I feel old.
Any similar scenarios you could use?
There's a jam session on a Thursday night in Antrim at Clotworthy House at Antrim Castle Gardens. £2 per night and keeps yer chops up for playing with other people. They are on Facebook as MADD Enterprises Ltd.

Edited by Ticktock

[quote name='Ticktock' timestamp='1383298192' post='2262662']
Bad show on the band, man.
I have lived in a rural town now for 12 years. Deadsville, plenty of rednecks listenin' to cheesy dance on commercial radio though.
The old postcard up in the music shop/ record shop used to work in the 80s in Belfast. God, I feel old.
Any similar scenarios you could use?
There's a jam session on a Thursday night in Antrim at Clotworthy House at Antrim Castle Gardens. £2 per night and keeps yer chops up for playing with other people. They are on Facebook as MADD Enterprises Ltd.
[/quote]

I've heard of MADD before. My mate was running an improv night (in Magherafelt), which was pretty cool, but it stopped (around about the time I stopped going, oddly enough), and I don't know if he's going to start it again or not. It was good. He's a really good musician, and I learned a fair bit from him about improv, which was cool.

Edited by MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1383614492' post='2266696']

Eugh! I know it's the right thing, but people won't even give you a chance if you reel off a load of issues before you've even met them.
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking, unfortunately there's still people out there who'd let that be a problem. Play first and ask questions later I say, hopefully they're not a bunch of shallow bastards!

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1383622362' post='2266712']
That's what I was thinking, unfortunately there's still people out there who'd let that be a problem. Play first and ask questions later I say, hopefully they're not a bunch of shallow bastards!
[/quote]

They don't appear to be, although they are from Armagh, so God knows what they are like :lol: :rolleyes: