Why become a member? ×

Need help to choose Markbass combo, please ;)

Fraktal

[quote name='WalMan' post='254737' date='Aug 4 2008, 06:04 PM']I've said it before & I'll say it again, I have a CMD121H and absolutely love it. Light, loud, easily handles a drummer in classic rock gigs in a smaller room and with PA support in much larger rooms, handles a low B on my L2500, and sounds great in teh context of my CR covers gig.

I have thought of adding the extra 1x12 but frankly have yet to find the need for it[/quote]

I read 1 review that put the mini CMD121P in front for delivery of lows, I guess you don't find that to be true

Just find it hard/strange to go down to 1 little combo after my old Peavey kit.

It looks like Thomman could get some of my cash.I don't know much about them but 3 year warranty looks useful

Edited by clash33

• 2 weeks later...

i have the mini 15 combo & the 2x10 traveller combo. The thing to remember is that the combos running at 8ohms on their own are producing about 400watts rms. Pretty much all you'll need for most playing situations, but if you want loads of easy headroom, adding a second cab converts you to 4ohms and gives you the full 500watts. Now I play with a stupendously loud drummer & even he winces when I go for it with the MarkBass. I'm usually running the combo at 1/4 on the input gain & 1/2 on the output for sheer biblical punch. (This is with a very powerful Status preamp, though!)

There's a girl I share playing work with & she has the 12" combo. That is ample for most jobs as well.

You just can't go wrong with this MarkBass stuff!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='262549' date='Aug 14 2008, 04:37 PM']i have the mini 15 combo & the 2x10 traveller combo. The thing to remember is that the combos running at 8ohms on their own are producing about 400watts rms. Pretty much all you'll need for most playing situations, but if you want loads of easy headroom, adding a second cab converts you to 4ohms and gives you the full 500watts. Now I play with a stupendously loud drummer & even he winces when I go for it with the MarkBass. I'm usually running the combo at 1/4 on the input gain & 1/2 on the output for sheer biblical punch. (This is with a very powerful Status preamp, though!)

There's a girl I share playing work with & she has the 12" combo. That is ample for most jobs as well.

You just can't go wrong with this MarkBass stuff![/quote]

Thanks, that's what I really wanted to know - Would you go with the 2x10 rather than 1x12 every time? I guess money wise 12" plus extra cab would be the same as the 2X10

[quote name='clash33' post='262580' date='Aug 14 2008, 05:18 PM']Thanks, that's what I really wanted to know - Would you go with the 2x10 rather than 1x12 every time? I guess money wise 12" plus extra cab would be the same as the 2X10[/quote]

Yes, the 2x10 is going to be stronger (mainly because you're putting the load through two speakers rather than one) and the 2x10 cabinet is physically larger and deeper. But the things you really need to consider are, how much signal are you putting through your rig? If you're playing a passive jazz or precision then you're not really going to overload anything. If you're playing a really powerful active bass with an 18v preamp then a 15" speaker at the bottom of the rig is going to be the one for you. You also need to consider the type of music you play and the sort of volumes you're likely to be producing/competing with.

I guess with mine I have two rigs in one. I can use my 15" combo for gentler jazz jobs & blues/60's jobs, but I like the extra headroom I get with the extra cab. Especially with The PHD where I'm competing with a very loud drummer and a guitarist with an elevated Line6 twin. The good news is that in these situations I often don't bother going through the PA with the drummer. I have plenty of power on my own :)

Allo!

Just to add to whats already been said - check my equipment page!

[url="http://www.freewebs.com/doctor_bass"]http://www.freewebs.com/doctor_bass[/url]

Out of all my gear, the 2 x 10" combo gets used most of all, normally on its own but having the two other cabs means that I can mix and match depending on the gig. I've had the 2 x 10" combo since 2005 and its performed admirably (it was one of the very first batch in the `wasp' livery) - first ever gig with it was with a very loud blues band with two guitar players. A guy comes up to me at half time - `....bass is a bit loud mate!'. Normally I would have asked him to check the weather outside but I thought `YES!!!!!'

Rich - I'm back!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='262877' date='Aug 15 2008, 01:56 AM']Allo!

Just to add to whats already been said - check my equipment page!

[url="http://www.freewebs.com/doctor_bass"]http://www.freewebs.com/doctor_bass[/url]

Out of all my gear, the 2 x 10" combo gets used most of all, normally on its own but having the two other cabs means that I can mix and match depending on the gig. I've had the 2 x 10" combo since 2005 and its performed admirably (it was one of the very first batch in the `wasp' livery) - first ever gig with it was with a very loud blues band with two guitar players. A guy comes up to me at half time - `....bass is a bit loud mate!'. Normally I would have asked him to check the weather outside but I thought `YES!!!!!'

Rich - I'm back![/quote]

Blimey mate, I was starting to get seperation anxiety there for a minute! :)

Hi Just popped in after a while away. I have the MB Jeff Berlin 1x15 combo (without the tweeter) and play with a loud pub Blues Rock band and a 5 piece function band. We've played some biggish venues and I've never once felt the need to augment with another cab or send to the PA. I play a Fender PBass Lyte fitted with passive SD quarter pounders and this amp kicks ass. Tons of volume and bottom end you can feel. At the end of the gig I put its little coat on and carry it out one handed, it's the loudest handbag in the world! After years of buggering up my back with heavy amps this one is definitely not for sale.